This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE not loading

I've been using dapper for about 2 weeks. I have it on a 20G partition. I did not have enough space to rip a dvd so I decided to install samba and transfer a couple of big files to my fat 32 partition for xp. I then transfered a few files over and deleted the originals (it did not give me the option of moving, only copying), and it did not create any space...? When I moved them to trash, the icons disappeared, but they did not appear in the trash bin. Then I decided to move the copies from the share folder I had created in the windows partition to a different location on the windows partition, thinking that since the files were still in a share folder that they would still take space on the kubuntu partition. Moving them from the share folder to a non share folder seems to have made another copy of them? and it used up the rest of the space on the kubuntu partition and left a piece of the file in the share folder in kubuntu. There do not appear to be multiple copies of the files, but moving the files from a share folder to a non share folder both on my windows partition seems to have eaten the rest of my kubuntu space. None of this makes any sense to me as it doesn't seem like the actions taken resulted in a logical outcome...

After this happened last night, I gave up and decided to try again this morning . So I turn on the computer and it gives me the logon screen...I found this strange considering I had disabled this feature a while ago. I enter my password and it goes black and then goes back to the logon screen. It doesn't give me any errors like invalid password or anything, it just gives me the sign on screen.

I tried to log into the command line and it worked. So I deleted a couple of files from there (all movies and that type of stuff) thinking it was acting funny since there is no space left on the hd. So I reboot, and now it goes straight to the command line. I can run things from the command line, like firefox right now, but I cannot get kde to load.

Any ideas as to what the hell just happened? my programs seem to work...just not kde.

Re: KDE not loading

Seabass, I have the same problem. I've been downloading a fair number of Bob Dylan bootlegs recently and yesterday my hard disk cried out and said "no more!".

I've deleted some accumulated cruft and df reports my main partition (on which everything, including /home, lives) is 89% full, which should be liveable. However, when I rebooted KDE failed to load and dropped me straight into a Konsole shell with no windowing available - just as you describe

A workaround is to select 'Console login' from the main menu; I log in as me and then say 'startx' and I get into my desktop and everything works more or less as it should. I can't switch/start sessions and I can only end the current session - no option to shut down/reboot the machine.

Anybody got any ideas on how to repair this?

Cheers,
    Calum

Comment

Working...
    X