This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bmpx / beep-media-player

has anyone had any luck installing this , I 've tried , the version in the repository installs but doesn't seem to work for me.

I've also tried the newer version from the bmpx repository, version 0.13.2 and it needs dbus 0.60 or greater, but dbus 0.60 is not avaliable for kubuntu, so any ideas as what to do.

I am an avid winamp user, and I love my album list plugin, bmpx, seems to have everything I enjoy about mp3 players, also my wife who is technically challenged needs something extremely simple to use like winamp nad album list to browse my 200GB+ music collection.

I've tried compiling from source dbus 0.60 but I haven't been successful, and if I remove the older dbus version, KDE mediamanger breaks.

so any help would be great

Re: bmpx / beep-media-player

I installed bmp by enabling the universe repository, opening up Konsole and typing "sudo apt-get install beep-media-player"

thats it...

Also had to install some codecs for MP3 , but you can get those from http://www.ubuntuguide.net

Comment

Alternatively, you can try xmms. Xmms is the original linux clone of winamp. It is close enough that it can use winamp skins (but not winamp plugins). Beep is an offshoot of xmms. You can install it from Synaptic or Adept. Try it, you'll like it!

Comment

Agreed! I use both xmms and bmp.

I think xmms sounds better than bmp, but I like the file browser in bmp better. The file browser in xmms is really poor!

Comment

Personally, I think Amarok has the best system for setting up playlists and providing album info, but when I want background music to shut out the sound of the noisy furnace blower or the construction project across the street. I just start xmms playing randomly selected files on a separate screen and pay (almost) no attention to it.

Comment

amaroK seems like a nice app, but the sounds is terrible! I tried setting the equilizer, but the high frequencies just dont sound good.

If I could get it o sound right, I would definately use it over bmp.

Comment

Working...
            X