X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adept and adept_updater

Hello,

I am new to kubuntu, but not to Linux.
    I have been experimenting with dapper flight cd4, trying to use the adept_updater and adept package manager.
    After a fresh install of Kubuntu, the package manager (adept) and the updater (adept_updater) don't seem to work properly.
    The will both start to launch from the K menu, then ask for sudo password... then nothing.
    The process crashes.
    If I edit the menu item and remove all the switches from the command line and check the run as chk box, then it seems to work.
    Seems that these are important pieces of the puzzle, even on a beta... any insights into why they don't work outta the box? Or is there a known ( but unknown to me) workaround for this issue.

Cheers,
    T.

Re: adept and adept_updater

File a bug report before Dapper gets released next month:
    https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+filebug/+login
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by Super-T
      Hello,

I have been experimenting with dapper flight cd4, trying to use the adept_updater and adept package manager.   
      After a fresh install of Kubuntu, the package manager (adept) and the updater (adept_updater) don't seem to work properly.
      The will both start to launch from the K menu, then ask for sudo password... then nothing.   
      The process crashes.   
      If I edit the menu item and remove all the switches from the command line and check the run as chk box, then it seems to work. 
      Seems that these are important pieces of the puzzle, even on a beta... any insights into why they don't work outta the box?  Or is there a known ( but unknown to me) workaround for this issue. 

Cheers,
      T.
      I've had this very same problem with Breezy so I thought I'd try out Dapper to see if things were fixed. Unfortunately no. This has plagued me for several weeks.javascript:replaceText(' >', document.postmodify.message);

Problem on Breezy:
      try to start Adept from menu - I can see it attempting - then nothing
      try again - sometimes success - most times not
      eventually nothing happens - a real hit-and-miss I couldn't pin down.

Problem with Dapper: nothing at all happens when I click on Adept 1.9.

Solution:
      - kill adept process(s) with KSysGuard (right click "Put into run dialog") and run as root.
      - next right click Adept and "Put into run dialog" and run as root. ALWAYS works good. Remove string following "Adept". ONLY Adept in box.

If you have a failure to start, the unstarted adept will prevent you from running it again as root. If you shut down and restart, the Adept window asking for password will pop up with a strange number as user. Don't type your password here. Just cancel.

Found another work-around for Adept problem:
      - right click on Adept
      - choose "Edit item"
      This brings up KDE menu Editor
      - delete all but Adept in command box
      - close

you can also select a shortcut key here- I used alt+a
      I'm just a newbie but Linux is great........ lots of things you can do with it.
      - close

Comment

Another work-around I used was to install Synaptic with the apt-get tool.
        Synaptic seems to work well to install extra programs, tho' I don't think it updates.
        I haven't tested that completely.
        Cheers,
        T.

Comment

Synaptic will show you a status entry called "Installed (upgradable)" in the left column. Just click on that and it shows you everything that can be upgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by Super-T
            Hello,

The process crashes.
            Seems that these are important pieces of the puzzle, even on a beta... any insights into why they don't work outta the box? Or is there a known ( but unknown to me) workaround for this issue.

Cheers,
            T.
            Adept sure seems to be a little buggy at this stage. It runs here, but sofar the Adept Updater got stuck completely -twice- for no apparent reason. And the first few times it worked "as advertised". The only way to get rid of the error messages was to kill -9 <adept-process-ID> in a konsole.

Greetings,

Comment

adept doesnt work here
              most of the time

but apt-get works

Comment

Yeah, Adept & Adept Updater are buggy, but we're 01 month+ before the final release.
                And, yes, Synaptic updates & upgrades your system.

Cheers
                Nevermore! Nevermore! - E. A. Poe

Comment

Working...
                X