This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Nvidia Driver

ok im trying to install the Nvidia driver to get 3d accelration so i could play opengl games on my kubuntu. im following this guide: (method2)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=75074

I did exactly as said except for the "CC=gcc-3.4" because i used "CC=gcc-4.0" or it wouldn't compile. everything went perfect except for when it was time to load X again. Because i started getting errors.

(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (a required submodule could not be loaded,0)
    (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist,0)
    (EE) No Drivers Available

Fatal Server error:
    No Screens Found
    btw i also changed

Section "Device"
          Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x]"
    Driver "nv"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    to "nvidia" instead of "nv" (tried doing what method1 said). but still as in both ways it wouldn't work.

i fixed this for now with the command "dpkg -reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg". but when i enter games with opengl enabled such as Globulation 2 i get this error:

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
    im sure that the driver is installed because when i tried reinstalling it said that there is arleady a previous installation of the driver which had to be removed and that was version 81.78.

im currently running Kubuntu Flight CD4 x86 which is fully updated. the driver that i was trying to install was Nvidia x86 v81.78. my vga is a Geforce 4 mx440. if more information is needed just ask.

any help is greatly appreciated

Edit: I've been trying with different configurations. and i was wrong as 'nv' it works

Driver "nv"
    and loads but still no opengl. i think as 'nv' it uses the driver that is arleady installed with kubuntu. and as 'nvidia' it uses the new driver. i also commented the  "#Load Dri" and is working too. the only problem is when i change "nv" to "nvidia".

is there a command or something i can do to tell X where to find the driver??

Re: Installing Nvidia Driver

Looks like you're not getting many takers.

I ran into the same problem after compiling a new kernel with the official nvidia driver (8178 I believe).

on my second go-round I simply installed nvidia-glx and the driver is now recognized and up-to-date, duh..

I'm running an on-board gforce 6100 in my Gigabyte mobo

Hope this helps.

Comment

Got exactly the same problem. changed xorg-conf back to driver "nv" for now so I can at least get a GUI.

Comment

its so simple

delete the nvidia driver

start Adept

search for nvidia

install nvidia-glx

then start Konsole and type sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
        and then change it from nv to nvidia

Comment

I went through a similar problem & finally got the nvidia driver to work by going to "system settings, display, administrator mode, then choose hardware tab & configure graphics card to use proprietary driver"

this gave me hardware acceleration for opengl screensavers & the nvidia splash screen but that's as far as I got because this driver kept causing my system to hang

has anyone found a better way

Comment

fixed my system hang by changing bios setting for "AGP 4X" to disabled. AGP 2X seems to have solved all the propblems & open gl works for screensavers & games like chromium, neverball & supertux. I have a 1.2 ghz AMD thunderbird on a KT7A RAID motherboard & Geforce 4mx AGP videocard

Comment

32-bit linux driver
              64-bit linux driver

this is the latest nvidia driver, 8756 package. download the one you need, then:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-dev
              sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run
              sudo reboot
              Richard Johnson (nixternal)<br />Core Developer :: MOTU :: MOTU Council :: Community Council<br />https://launchpad.net/~nixternal<br />http://www.nixternal.com

Comment

it was about time they released some new drivers

thanks for posting!

Comment

no problem man. the new drivers run pretty sweet. i picked up a little bit of speed, but i have noticed temps rise a little on the gpu. non the less, they rock.
                  Richard Johnson (nixternal)<br />Core Developer :: MOTU :: MOTU Council :: Community Council<br />https://launchpad.net/~nixternal<br />http://www.nixternal.com

Comment

Working...
                  X