This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE + Xgl + compiz

I know that he did specify which order to install them in, but I don't know if that would cause the problems that you're having.

I'm still using Xgl/Compiz today with no problems. I also installed the new debs which were released by QuinnStorm here:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=148472

They have some cool new features, and they work well for me. Maybe try those too?

Comment

it works here now

i will download those newer ones

Comment

Did it work after you installed them in the right order, or did you do something else?

If it was the order you installed them, and there are others with that same problem I'd bet that's their problem too.

That's awesome that you found an answer!

Comment

Originally posted by nrwilk
          Did it work after you installed them in the right order, or did you do something else?

If it was the order you installed them, and there are others with that same problem I'd bet that's their problem too.

That's awesome that you found an answer!
          i installed those debs mentioned in the how-to(in the right order)
          and those debs you mentioned

but now all screens are transparant

Comment

What do you mean "screens are all transparent?"

Your virtual desktops? Windows?

Maybe you should uninstall the newer debs and use the ones that worked the first time.

Comment

What do you mean "screens are all transparent?"

Your virtual desktops? Windows?

Maybe you should uninstall the newer debs and use the ones that worked the first time.
              the windows

but the rest all works

Comment

Ah! well, that's a new feature.

Get to a console, and type
                Code:
                gconf-editor
                This is the app that we use to control Compiz's functionality and options. (and I can't stop playing with it, hehe)

when gconfeditor pops up, go to apps>Compiz>plugins>opaquefocus>screen0>options and set the values you want.

I set the Focused_Window_Opacity_Level to be 100 so as to make windows with focus have 100% opacity.

This will fix your problem. While you're in there, play around with some other stuff. I recommend turning on both "skydome" options under the cube plugin. Also, check out the cube plugin's "in" option. It put's you inside the cube, with the desktops facing inwards instead of outside the cube with the desktops facing out.

The options you change in gconf-editor are realtime, so you don't have to close and reopen it, or restart x. Just change the option, and then play with Compiz. Then, change the option back if you don't like it, or tweak it more to make it fit to your needs. This makes it really easy to see how everything works best for you.

BTW, you have QuinnStorm to thank for these new features. She's an ubuntu user who wrote the new code which is contained in these packages. She also submitted it to the official developers so that they can include it in the official packages (if they like it).

Go here to find out more:
                http://compiz.blogspot.com/2006/03/q...innsource.html

Comment

i cant find apps>Compiz>plugins>opaquefocus>screen0>options
                  in gconf-editor

and also not those Cube options

both plugins are in the plugins folder

Comment

Did you uninstall those newest debs, or do you still have them installed (the ones provided by QuinnStorm)?

That option isn't present in the debs which the howto links to, only in the very newest ones.

EDIT!!!! NEVERMIND! This is a dumb question. If you had reinstalled the previous debs, you wouldn't have the transparent windows anymore.

I'm late for class, but I'm pretty sure I have the solution. I'll be back in no more than 3 hours.

Comment

Ok, now that I'm back, I have like 15 minutes before I have to take my girlfriend to work, and then pick up her kiddo.

Try this:

open up the script you made in the ~/.kde/Autostart directory, and comment out the line which is currently there then add a line to make it look like this:
                      Code:
                      #!/bin/bash

# compiz --replace gconf decoration wobbly fade minimize cube rotate zoom scale move resize place switcher opaquefocus & gnome-window-decorator

compiz --replace gconf & gnome-window-decorator
                      restart the x-server by hitting <ctrl><alt><backspace>, and log in. Tell me if you then have the opaquefocus plugin in gconf-editor.

That's what I have in my Autostart script, and I had tried it as a test for chadwick359 (the author of the howto). It works fine for me, and it may be why the new debs worked for me without problem.

Comment

Ok, now that I'm back, I have like 15 minutes before I have to take my girlfriend to work, and then pick up her kiddo.

Try this:

open up the script you made in the ~/.kde/Autostart directory, and comment out the line which is currently there then add a line to make it look like this:
                        Code:
                        #!/bin/bash

# compiz --replace gconf decoration wobbly fade minimize cube rotate zoom scale move resize place switcher opaquefocus & gnome-window-decorator

compiz --replace gconf & gnome-window-decorator
                        restart the x-server by hitting <ctrl><alt><backspace>, and log in. Tell me if you then have the opaquefocus plugin in gconf-editor.

That's what I have in my Autostart script, and I had tried it as a test for chadwick359 (the author of the howto). It works fine for me, and it may be why the new debs worked for me without problem.
                        i will try that
                        but if i put gconf in it,i cant see the kde panel

Comment

Let me know how it goes. If you need to take gconf-editor out of the command in that script, that's probably the reason why Compiz doesn't show up in it, actually.

Comment

Let me know how it goes. If you need to take gconf-editor out of the command in that script, that's probably the reason why Compiz doesn't show up in it, actually.
                            everything works now

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk
                              everything works now
                              Awesome! I'm glad you got it to work!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk
                                everything works now
                                Awesome! I'm glad you got it to work!