This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opera and firefox

I have just received a notification that there was an update available and when I downloaded it I found out that it was Opera 9.25.
    I cannot remember downloading any update to firefox
    (where can I find out which version of firefox I have?)
    This seems very peculiar so i suppose my brain is at fault.
    I like opera and use it all the time so my lack of knowledge about firefox is, perhaps, understandable.
    However, now that I am thinking about it I would like to know how to find out which version I have. (also applies to all other applications!!)

Thanks

Re: opera and firefox

With Firefox open, click 'Help' and 'About Mozilla Firefox" That will give you the version.

To see what plugins you have for Firefox, type 'aboutlugins' in the address bar.
    To see what settings you have in Firefox, type 'about:config' in the address bar. (USE CARE)
    Both entries are without the apostrophes.
    Slackware 12 - 32 bit on a ABIT Fatal1ty AA8XE Motherboard w/ Pentium 4 3.6 gHz HyperThreaded CPU (OC&#39;d to 4.4 gHz) and 1066 mHz FSB, 4 GB US Modular Low Density DDR2 ram, eVGA Nvidia e-GeForce 6200 LE 512mb PCI-e x16 GFX video. Plays World of Warcraft great!<br /><br />Only Linux @ home since 1996

Comment

Many thanks john14424
      I have firefox 1.5.0.1
      The only question remaining is why firefox is not being upgraded to the current version.
      (I believe the Opera 9.25 is the latest stable version)
      Thanks for your information

Comment

Upgrading to Firefox2 using Ubuntuzilla may provide some insight.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog
          I looked at the site you specified and also at the ubuntu one ,mentioned in the site.
          Both imply that upgrading to a new version can bring new bugs and break things.
          YET Kubuntu has supplied a number of Opera upgrades in the last couple of years and I haven't seen any faults.
          So why not the same for firefox?
          I suppose that if I knew anything about programming I would know the answer!
          Thanks

Comment

Click on Help->About Firefox. That will tell you the version you are using.

This may or may not be relevant, but I use the version of Firefox that is in the repositories. I get regular updates and at the minute it is up to version 2.0.0.11. Do you use the version in the repo's, or did you download and install it yourself?
            I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Hi Lowey
              You say that you get regular updates but did you begin with FF 1.5.0 ?
              I get updates to 1.5.0 but not an upgrade to 2.0.0.
              Given the all too frequent posts describing problems when upgrading I hesitate to initiate the process. This is why I find it strange that the updates (upgrades) to Opera are presented (and happen successfully)
              I suppose that perhaps going from Opera 9 to 9.25 is not an upgrade but an update.
              Obviously I am confused as to the distinction!
              Thanks

Comment

The difference between opera and firefox is that opera is not available from the standard official ubuntu repositories (and as such, the version upgrade limitation policy does not apply to it)

You're likely getting opera from either dapper-commercial or opera's own repository?

Comment

Thanks for the reply kubicle
                  Your information is rather scary as I only do updates when notified by the little red triangle icon.
                  I have assumed that this was only used by the "official" (K)Ubuntu people.
                  Are you saying that other agencies are able to use the icon?

Comment

Any repository that you have included in your sources.list file will cause packages provided through that repository that have been 'upgraded' to be identified by Adept Notifier.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Dapper's version of Firefox is locked at 1.5, mostly because in order to update it to newer versions, you would have to upgrade a lot of other things as (mostly in ubuntu) quite a lot of things in Dapper uses Firefox's rendering bits, things like openoffice would break.

You can run new firefox if you get a package directly from them (and it will update itself - directly from firefox as well) and run it safely on your system as their package has its own libraries and etc inside so it does not conflict with the one on your system already
                      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion explains a few ways to do this

Comment

Many thanks claydoh for the information and the refernce to the ubuntu web page

Comment

Working...
                        X