X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype install

I tried to manually install skype

sudo dpkg -i skype-debian_1.4.0.118-1_i386.deb

which failed because of dependencies on other packages which were not installed. I then reverted to the adept package manager to install skype, but this would not work because it would break some packages. The dialogue box after applying the changes in adept reads;

"There was an error committing the changes. Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would break packages"

I went back to the console to remove and purged anything that I might have installed initially. I must say that I fiddled around and that I do not have the exact sequence of what I did. Anyway the output of the dpkg commands currently reads:

sudo dpkg --purge skype
    dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove skype which isn't installed.

sudo dpkg -r skype
    dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove skype which isn't installed.

nevertheless adept manager does not enable me to install skype. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Skype install

I tried to install with apt-get and get the following message. Can anyone help?

sudo apt-get install skype
    Password:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
    the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
    that package should be filed.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    E: Broken packages

Comment

Skype for Linux has been successfully tested on many recent distributions, including, but not limited to: SuSE 9, Gentoo, Debian, Fedora Core 3-5, Sun Java Desktop System Release 2, Xandros, Mandriva, Ubuntu. It should run on all distributions that have the required versions of glibc and Qt libraries available.
      As you are running an older version (Dapper), the required libraries are either not installed or are not current enough to allow Skype to be installed.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Skype install (on Dapper Drake)

The missing package seems to be "librtel"

I have searched for it on http://packages.ubuntu.com/#search_packages but the search did not return any results (for any distribution).

How come that Skype is listed under the available packages in Adept, if my current distribution does not support it?

Is someone using Skype on 6.06 LTS?

Comment

OK. I figured it out. The universe multiverse repository was not enabled. That is where the librtel package was. Once this repository was enabled, the install worked without a glitch.

Comment

Excellent.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out. I ran skype fine on dapper. I would recommend that you try aptitude for package management as it provides much more info than apt-get for installation and removal.

BUT then found that skype wasn't in the repositories for edgy, feisty and gutsy. I noticed on skype.com that they have an independent download for feisty 7.04

Be grateful if someone could let me know why that is? The dapper version was one of the better versions in my opinion - i.e. without the video, which meant it was much faster for voice and messaging.

What i'd lie to know is how i can run that older dapper version on feisty [assuming that the skype.com version is a later video type].

thanks
              james

Comment

Make sure you have the required repository enabled. I believe that Skype is available through the multiverse repository.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  Make sure you have the required repository enabled. I believe that Skype is available through the multiverse repository.
                  I don't think it's in multiverse, you should be able to get it from medibuntu (3rd party repo).
                  http://medibuntu.org/

It might also have been available in the dapper-commercial repo, can't remember for sure.
                  http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/07/...al-repository/

Comment

tv card chipsets philips SAA 713X

Dear Kubuntu friends,
                    I am a new user to Kubuntu, I have installed a tv card pci philips 713x. I want to know hopw to make it work and watch tv on my pc.
                    Thank you

Comment

Working...
                    X