This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Adept

Whenever I try to install a package through adept package manager, I get the error

Code:
    There was an error commiting changes. Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would break packages.
    If I try installing it using apt-get, I get the following error
    Code:
    E: Lists directory /var/lib/apt/lists/partial is missing.
    E: Archive directory /var/cache/apt/archives/partial is missing.
    The first time I noticed this was after I installed my new video card, although it had been a while since I tried installing anything, so that could be purely coincidental.

I imagine these two errors are directly related. I've searched around, and haven't found anything helpful. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit - Could a mod please move this to the Feisty Fawn section?

Re: Problem with Adept

do from konsole:
    sudo mkdir /var/lib/apt/lists/partial

sudo mkdir /var/cache/apt/archives/partial
    I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

I have a problem similar to what the lead post mentioned. Under Edgy, when the recent samba updates from 3.0.22-1ubuntu4.2 to 4.3 came out, adept-updater downloaded the four items (samba, samba-common, libsmbclient, smbclient) and appeared to go through the installation, then gave me the "error committing changes" message.

My beef is that there is not enough information coming out to enable me to diagnose the problem: e.g., was one of the files corrupted on download, or is there a real incompatibility that would break something if the change were committed? If I want to rollback the download and try it again, do I need to delete the previously-spooled downloads, and if so, where are they saved - and is there a synchronization log file somewhere that also has to be deleted in order to allow downloading the files again?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

You probably have already done this, but run the following commands:

Code:
        sudo apt-get install -f
        Code:
        sudo dpkg --configure -a
        If those don't work, run the following series of commands:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoclean
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install samba samba-common libsmbclient smbclient
        If you again receive errors, run the first series of commands again and post any error messages you receive.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Ran the first two commands above, then ran the updater to get the new samba modules (plus two other updates that have appeared meanwhile). Update went fine, no errors.

Thanks for the help. It would still be a good thing to have more detailed output from adept to identify the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X