X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgradeing Deb packages on multiple machines

Hi,

I have 22 Dapper machines that I need to upgrade the .deb files in and I only have a slow dial up modem. It would seem to me that I could do one machine and then copy all the archive files to each of the remaining machines and thus eliminate the long download on the remaining machines but when I try this (both through Adept and shell Konsole) I need to connect to the internet and wait for long downloads again. Should I be able to transfer the downloads by moving the archived .deb files and if so, what might I be doing wrong?

Ray

Re: Upgradeing Deb packages on multiple machines

This might be worth your while:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptProxy

Basically it sets up a package cache on one machine, and other machines can draw packages from there.

Comment

Wonderful! That sounds exactly like what I need. I have visited the site and will download and install the application.

Thanks,

Ray in the mountains of Nepal

Comment

You can also try squid. It is a caching proxy, which, while I haven't tried either, is supposed to work better than apt-proxy... Give them both a try, but sqid sounds a lot easier.

See: http://www.bel.fi/~alankila/blog/200...20failure.html

Comment

Thanks, I will give it a try. It could be exactly what I need.

Ray

Comment

Re: Upgrading Deb packages on multiple machines

Another (low-tech) option is aptoncd, (sudo apt-get install aptoncd) which backs up your apt sources to CD, which you would then take from machine to machine, assuming they are not all on the same network. I use this to get the apps on my work machine onto my home machine without having to waste bandwidth. I suppose the rider is that both machines need to be more or less "synched" in terms of Ubuntu version/kernel and libraries. It's also a good way of "backing up" all those painstakingly downloaded apps in the event of a disk crash.

Comment

Working...
            X