This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mail Server - Simple, office located network

Hi, I want to set up a mail server (necessary parts to send and receive e-mails) between users of a local network. I will not have connection to the internet where this system will operate. I want to install this on one of the Dapper Drake machines and use something like Kmail or Thunderbird as clients.

Can someone make suggestions as to what software I should use and also information on how to install and configure the system?

Thanks,

Ray

Re: Mail Server - Simple, office located network

The best bet will be to install some "mail solution", I mean a program that delivers both a POP/IMAP server, SMTP server, all the usual addons (spam filter, antivirus) and some admin console.

I use kolab (it's on the repositories) but there are more solutions. You will need to invest some time to work with any of them.

http://kolab.org/index.html

Or of course, you can setup everything by hand yourself. A basic installation will need a POP/IMAP server (like cyrus) and a SMTP server (I love postfix). It's harder to install and manage but you will have very fine grain control.

Javier.

Comment

Thanks,

What concerns me most is being able to send and receive mail without an internet connection. In other words, can I receive e-mail messages from the SMTP server without a registered domain name. Do I just make up a domain name for the POP account? How do the e-mail clients (MTAs) know which computer the POP server is located on? etc.?

Ray

Comment

You could just fake a domain name. Try something that is not "real", to avoid confusion like company.internal. So the mail addresses will look like "someone@company.internal"

If the mail server has a fixed IP in the LAN (what seems quite reasonable), just give the IP number directly on the clients server configuration. I mean tell Thunderbird that the POP and SMTP server is 192.168.0.2 (or whatever).

Javier.

Comment

Thanks, your comments are very helpful. I will give it a diligent try.

Ray

Comment

Working...
          X