This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how to install nvidia driver?

I agree (somewhat) with dibl, installing the driver package that comes directly from Nvidia is quite a task. There are many extra packages to install as you are actually compiling the interface that connects the proprietary driver to your kernel. That is why Ubuntu (and just about all distros) package the drivers for its users.

The Envy script makes it a bit easier to do, but I still think it is easier and safer for someone new to try it using Adept package manager. If you install the driver by hand, or use Envy, you will have to redo the process every time there is a kernel update (you won't get any gui at all unless you temporarily switch back to the open-source 'nv' driver)

Here is an in-depth how-to on various methods available for installing the driver, a lot of which came from the guy who created the Envy script.
    http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Dapper

If you still cannot connect to the 'net, there are steps to do the install using Ubuntu's version from manually downloaded packages, I think you only need one.

Comment

Re: how to install nvidia driver?

Originally posted by claydoh
      That is why Ubuntu (and just about all distros) package the drivers for its users.
      Except, however, the new 8000-series cards require the 100.14.11 driver, which is not yet in the packages.

OP didn't say which card he has -- so I gave him the "fits 'em all" method, which is a fine solution until the next kernel upgrade.

I'm not sure you can actually win this game!

Comment

Working...
      X