This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audacity

I am trying to run Audacity on my laptop and when I launch it, as a regular user, from the menu I get this error:

Error Initializing Audio
    There was an error initializing the audio i/o layer.
    You will not be able to play or record audio.
    Error: Host Error

The buttons in the window are grayed out and I am not able to select inputs or outputs.

If I launch the Terminal and start Audacity using this command - sudo audacity
    I do not get the error and I am able to select options within the program.

I am able to use the sudo command on this laptop , but I do have another one that I do not want to give the user the ability to use the sudo command.
    This laptop is running a Intel Centrino 2GHz processor with 1GB of ram and Kubuntu 6.06

Thank you in advance for any help.

Jeff

Re: Audacity

To use sound players and recorders, the user must be a member of the "audio" group. Check your System settings>User Management settings.

Comment

On the laptop that I use, my user account is a member of the "audio" group and I still receive the error. Any other ideas dibl?
      I will have to check the other laptop when the user brings it back on Monday.

Comment

Well, since "sudo" can use it but your user can't, it's clearly related to permissions. Was there any problem with your sound system that caused you to get into "sudo" mode to deal with? It almost sounds like Audacity, when run by your user, isn't allowed to open the ALSA or OSS system. Just grabbing at straws here -- I'm going to look at my user configuration and see if anything else comes to mind.

Comment

All I can suggest is to do some experiments with sound system access, and see if you can figure out what all your user can't do. For example, do you happen to have "alsamixergui" installed -- can you open that? How about your Kmixer -- can you adjust the playback settings (and get results)? How about Amarok? If it's ONLY Audacity, then you can consider removing and re-installing it. But if it's everything related to the sound system, then somehow your user has been cut off from permission to make noise on that system. :P

Comment

I am not sure, but I think in the past I had problems with Audacity when Amarok was open (or another program using output or input sound).
            Try to close any such program before starting Audacity.
            Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Sorry it took me a while to respond.

I was able to get it working in Kubuntu. I went to the Alsamixer via the command line and the microphone option was muted. Once I enable that I was able to record and playback the audio.

Thank you for your help.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
              X