This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dapper to Edgy upgrade - Went fine, but KDE seems to have a problem

Yesterday I upgraded Dapper (64bit) to Edgy. At the end, it worked, but there were some weirdnesses along the way. I will write a step-by-step of the procedures, including the issue I am having with KDE after the upgrade completed.

- Changed all occurances of "dapper" to "edgy" in souces.list;
    - Opened Adept to update the repositories and do the available changes;
    - In the list of what was to be done, Adept was going to be removed (!!!!!), so I asked to update instead of remove;
    - Downloaded all packages, but there was one marked as ERROR: libxfixes3. I have no idea on its use;
    - When applying the updates, Adept had to quit because some dependencies would break. Adept itself would be removed, even though I asked to update and not remove. This was not smelling good... after all these months, the Dapper=>Edgy update was still bugged, damned, doomed;
    - Opened Synaptic. Looked for updates and commit it. Everything went fine this time. Closed the program, backed data up and saved in a FAT32 partition. At this time, no media was being automatically mounted. Rebooted the PC;
    - Loaded the new kernel (generic, and not the AMD-K8, not available at this time), the progress bar is not continuous blue, it has some vertical stripes now. And what I was already expecting: KDE didn't load. Of course, needed to download the modules-restricted for the kernel. Download via aptitude, installed and rebooted;
    - Loaded the new kernel, and KDE didn't fire up again, so I reinstalled xserver-xorg-core, as suggested in the update guide. And there was a mess with some packages which had their names changed, mainly Python. It wasn't Python2.4 anymore, just plain Python. Many KDE packages seem to have new names, so they were removed, re-downloaded and installed. Had to run many "aptitude dist-upgrade" to fix all the dependencies. After that, nothing else was available to update, "apt-get -f install" showed no broken dependencies, everything seemed fine now;
    - Rebooted, loaded new kernel and KDE started. Everything was there, the way I left before, but wallpapers had some weird colors, and videos too, like a gamma problem, which of course was ok because I didn't mess with it. Reinstalled "nvidia-glx", restarted KDM and everything was fine again;

- I had no time to mess with the interface because I was late for work, so I just finished the installation, and here comes the issue: after clicking K menu and asking to either logoff, reboot computer or shutdown, it is taking an unusual amount of time to do it. In Dapper, it used to take 2 or 3 seconds to do what I selected, but now it takes something between 15 and 20 seconds.

Anyone else experiencing it? Any ideas on what could be going on?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Dapper to Edgy upgrade - Went fine, but KDE seems to have a problem

I'm back home and trying to fix stuff. Right now I see that the mess with colors on desktop persists, so the nvidia-glx reinstall may not be the definitive solution. I will do a reinstall on the desktop. Will post again soon.

Comment

The "logoff-restart-shutdown" thing seems to be gone, maybe it was just my mind.
      But the corrupted colors in the desktop persists. When the system first loads the session right after a boot, the colors are messed, but if I CTRL+ALT+BKSPACE to restart X, the colors are the way they should be.
      I reinstalled kubuntu-desktop, but it didn't solve.
      I'm stuck at this point.

Comment

I'm messing with Beryl, and it worked out-of-the-box the first time it loaded. I had to reboot to do something else on, errr, Windoze, and when I came back to Kubuntu, selected the Beryl session, but it didn't load.
        It says "Checking for GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap : failed" when loading manually, but it didn't happen before the restart.

Well, since Geforces FX5200 have it, I guess my 6800 also has it. But apparently something is wrong.

"No GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
        beryl: No GLXFBConfig for default depth, falling back on visinfo."

Yes, the desktop is set to 24bit color. The manual load works, though, but not the session which I created.
        Reinstalled "nvidia-glx", but it didn't solve.
        I must say that I never saw a so fragile system before, lost the count of how many times I had to reinstall xorg stuff. I don't mind fixing a system if it works in the end, I do it too much. And it is not beta crap, it is a release which is almost one year out, but with a lot of work ahead. It's not even up to the claim that "you don't need to update your system from CDs, just get the new version via download".
        I think Canonical should spend some more time fixing bugs on what they call a "final" release, rather than rushing to release something new in the next 6 months. It's no useful differential, you get a new release each 6 months, at the expense of wasting hours and hours to just do what Ubuntu always said: upgrade from the network, all you need is 1 CD for the rest of your life.
        If they just stop with this claim, people would be less dissapointed, because rumor has it that not even 50% of those who tried an online update had it right without a need to brush some bits.

Now, back to the grind.

Comment

Originally posted by DMurray
          I think Canonical should spend some more time fixing bugs on what they call a "final" release, rather than rushing to release something new in the next 6 months.
          Ummmm .... Great Rant, but what makes you think Canonical is responsible for Beryl's performance? Or the capability of the proprietary Nvidia driver embedded in nvidia-glx?

But, it feels good to vent, eh?

Comment

Maybe you didn't read the previous:
            "But the corrupted colors in the desktop persists. When the system first loads the session right after a boot, the colors are messed, but if I CTRL+ALT+BKSPACE to restart X, the colors are the way they should be."

Before the update, there was a working system. After the update, there is a weird system.
            And I don't care about Beryl, I have a Mac if I ever need the effect.

BTW, you are almost right about the "feels good". Almost...

Comment

I finally found the problem, it was a malware: Edgy. After upgrading to Feisty (smooth), absolutely everything is working.
              Read here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084585.0

Comment

Originally posted by DMurray
                it was a malware: Edgy

I also had various troubles with Edgy, and find Feisty quite stable by comparison. But, we may be in a minority holding that view .... others seem to be squawking about Feisty problems. I'm glad it's working for you.

Comment

Working...
                X