This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Adept

I can no longer run Adept from the System menu; under the GUI it tries to start but never does. Under Konsole I can get it to start but it begins with the following error messages:

X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
    Major opcode: 144
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device
    X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
    Major opcode: 144
    Minor opcode: 3
    Resource id: 0x0
    Failed to open device

This problem began today when the Adept Notifier said that I had some updates. I tried to update all the packages but it stopped in the middle and says that I still have 53 packages to update. One of the updates appeared to be "broken" [I don't remember which one...] and the problem may have centered around two packages from Sun that popped up an agreement for me to submit.

On a related subject I have attempted to upgrade Firefox from 1.5.0.12 to 2.0.0.4, but have been unsuccessful. Again, I get the above error messages. And...I am told that there is a .deb package for Firefox 2.0.0.4 in the backports repository; I have that repository active, but I get no notification that there is an upgrade for Firefox.

Any help will be appreciated. Where do I find out about BadDevice? And what is major opcode 144 and minor opcode 3? Thanks.

Re: Problems with Adept

In a Konsole window, try the following to get Adept straightened out:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install
    HTH

The "bad device" messages are unrelated to Adept problems -- search on "wacom error" to deal with that stuff -- but it is harmless.

Comment

It happens sometimes that you shutdown adept and kdesu keeps running. Solution is quite simple: hit 'Ctrl'+'Esc', find 'kdesu' in the process list and kill it. Afterwards everything will work just fine.

Comment

What dibl said.
        I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

OK Leo dum-dum......worked with windows (I know I hear the groans, what can I say, also worked with Apple, MacIntosh, I work with what works)
          I thank the contributors for their suggestions. I think there is an issue with Java and FireFox, hope some one smarter than me (everyone else reading this) can fix this and then do a "doby update"....

He, doby, this is what you do..............
          thanks

"qrazydutch"
          (spell with a Q to not upset the real nuts out there)

Comment

Working...
          X