X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Remote Desktop / Terminal Server

OK, still didn't work.

All I get is a grey screen with a cursor.  It's obviously the mouse cursor but that's all I see.  Can't login, can't run anything, can't do anything.

And FYI, I get this same screen from both another Linux box (dapper using KDM remote login) and from a Windows box.  Same thing.  Doesn't work.

I'll note that I'm using KDE. There seem to be some help posts for getting this working with Gnome, but there apparently aren't any problems doing this with Gnome.

Comment

gypsy,

attach your kdmrc and Xaccess file as code and I will take a look at them. You are running kubuntu 7.04 correct....

Comment

Originally posted by gypsy98101
        JAvier, I looked at the NX server and that might actually be worth looking into. Although it seems to be more of a replacement for terminal services than remote desktop, so it might be overkill to install on one desktop computer.
        NX, is similar to the remote X option. It just will encrypt and compress the date before sending it to the network. For the server machine it's lighter than VNC. Of course, it will use more CPU power than pure X relaying.

In the client machine, it runs an X server and makes some caching, so it somewhat more heavy than VNC or pure X relay.

In Windowsworld, Terminal Services and Remote Desktop are exactly the same technology (the RDP protocol) with different commercial names.

Javier.

Comment

Holy Cow!! It works! I don't know what happened, maybe it just had to sit and think a while. But I tried it again today when I got to my office and it just worked. Have no idea why it did this time but didn't yesterday. I didn't make any changes or reboot or anything. I just let it sit overnight and it worked today!

I'm so excited I can't think. But now I've got new issues. Like how to set it up to work over the internet. I'll tackle those problems another day. Right now I'm just thrilled that I can actually connect from the other computer.

THANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by gypsy98101
            Holy Cow!! It works! I don't know what happened, maybe it just had to sit and think a while. But I tried it again today when I got to my office and it just worked. Have no idea why it did this time but didn't yesterday. I didn't make any changes or reboot or anything. I just let it sit overnight and it worked today!

I'm so excited I can't think. But now I've got new issues. Like how to set it up to work over the internet. I'll tackle those problems another day. Right now I'm just thrilled that I can actually connect from the other computer.

THANKS!
            to make it work over the internet the secure way would be to forward the port via ssh. Yes you need to make a connection to the network first but X is not secure ....

Comment

Working...
            X