This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working away from base with Live CD

Have to work away from base for next 2/3 months. Taking laptop running windows, ah well must earn a crust somehow.

To deal with Kubuntu items whilst away will be running dapper v 6.06 from live CD. Programme I need to use is Quanta as do 90% of my web work with this whilst at base and wish to continue to do so. Quanta is not on the live CD but needs to be downloaded. Not a problem using adept but once the machine is shutdown Quanta is lost and needs to be downloaded again on next use. I tried it today to test. This is a problem when you are paying hotel rates for WiFi access.

I see from the Quanta site that there is a tar ball but again I am not sure that GCC and all libraries are on the Live CD to deal with compiling from the tar ball.

I could copy the Quanta files from desktop machine over to the storage media used with the laptop for Kubuntu work but again not sure about dependancies being lost on moving programme from its installation machine to the laptop.

Has anyone got any suggestions / ideas on how to get round this? I know I can write HTML and scripts using Kate or Kwrite but I have got used to Quanta doing most of the work.

Thanks

Roy

Re: Working away from base with Live CD

it should be possible to:
    download the .iso and "mount -o loop" it
    then add the quanta stuff to it
    unmount (thus, save) the .iso
    burn it onto a cd.

it should be possible...i think.

gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Re: Working away from base with Live CD