This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video

Web sites such as Fox News have a number of video clips available and they are associated with specific news stories. What software do I need to install in order to view these videos?

Thank you!

Re: Video

Do you mean you visit certain websites that should have videos you can view in a browser (like Firefox), but you can't watch the video.

In this case you will need to install the Macromedia Flash plugin.

First the Universe and Multiverse Repositories must be enabled (See: https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/kubuntu...ositories.html)

Then, you can open Konsole (K Menu -> System -> Konsole), and type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    enter your password, and you may need to agree to a license agreement.

Restart Firefox.

Note: if sound doesn't work in Flash Player (for example on YouTube), then do the following in Konsole:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install alsa-oss
    kdesu kate /etc/firefox/firefoxrc
    In the Kate window that opens, change:

Code:
    FIREFOX_DSP=""
    To:

Code:
    FIREFOX_DSP="aoss"
    Restart Firefox.

Comment

Cyrus,

You understood my problem correctly. I followed your instructions and installed the Flash plug-in. However, I can get sound but no picture. Any suggestions on how to enable the video?

Thank you!

Comment

This may help. (It would be good if you tell me what version of Kubuntu you are using, i.e. Feisty 7.04, Edgy 6.10, Dapper 6.06 LTS; and if you are using Firefox or Konqueror)

Try the following commands (in konsole)
        sudo apt-get install alsa-oss
        (unlikely to do anything, but worth a shot)
        Restart and test Firefox. If flash works, then great. Otherwise, continue.
        Add/Change the following line:
        Code:
        FIREFOX_DSP="aoss"
        Restart and test Firefox. If flash works, then great. Otherwise, continue.
        sudo apt-get install libflash-mozplugin

You could also check out:
        https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/2739

Comment

Cyrus,

First, I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.3 in Kubuntu 7.04.

I tried to follow your instructions, but was unsuccessful. When I executed

I got a lot of error messages, etc. that I didn't understand. I've put them in the pastebin http://pastebin.ca/472544

I never got to changing the code line.

Do you have any further suggestions?

Thank you.

Comment

The warnings can by ignored (they should not cause a problem), but you can get rid of them by disabling wacom devices in xorg.conf (used by tablet PCs).

In konsole, type the following:

Code:
            cd /etc/X11
            sudo cp xorg.conf xorgbackup.conf
            sudo kate xorg.conf
            There are three sections in xorg.conf for wacom devices. Delete all three. Now go down to the bottom of the file and remove the three InputDevice entries for the wacom devices under the ServerLayout section. Save the file and reboot (or restart the X server by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace). This should fix the errors.

Instead of typing kdesu kate /etc/firefox/firefoxrc, you can type the following in konsole:
            Code:
            sudo /etc/firefox/firefoxrc
            Or open Konqueror, browse to /etc/firefox, right-click firefoxrc -> Actions -> Edit as Root.

Comment

For more detailed instructions on disabling wacom devices in xorg.conf, see the following post:
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=7964

Comment

The system crashed when I pressed Ctrl+Alt=Backspace. The screen went black. Couldn't reboot into Kubuntu. Tried to boot in Safe mode. That took me to a command prompt, but I didn't know what to do there. I'm frustrated and about to throw in the towel.

"Save the file and reboot (or restart the X server by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace)"

Comment

The crash has been overcome. I found a HOWTO called Disaster Recovery and xorg.conf. I followed its example and created a new xorg.conf (at least that's what I think I did). Then I rebooted and got my log in screen, logged in and got Kubuntu up and running. Now it's back to seeing if I can get the video working.

Comment

I just found out that Adobe offers an Adobe Flash Player 9 for Linux. It's available as a tarball. I downloaded and installed it, but I still don't have video.

Comment

You didn't need to create a new xorg.conf. If you followed my instructions, you created a backup of xorg.conf which you can restore.

To restore the old xorg.conf, you would do:
                      Code:
                      cd /etc/X11
                      sudo cp xorgbackup.conf xorg.conf
                      Hopefully, the backup was not overwritten when you created a new xorg.conf.

It is likely that the X server failed to start because you might have not commented out the bottom of the document under Section "ServerLayout". See http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=7964

By the way, Flash Player 9 is provided by the flashplugin-nonfree package (in Kubuntu Feisty 7.04) which should have been installed. To just make sure, open Adept, type flashplugin-nonfree in the search box, click on the package flashplugin-nonfree, and click the button Details. Is this package installed, and if so, what is the version?

Also, navigate to /usr/lib/firefox/plugins in Konqueror, what files do you see? Do you see the file link libflashplayer.so? In /usr/lib, what folders related to flash do you have (they start with the letter f)? These folders should not be empty, the should have files in them. It might be possible that you have multiple versions of the Flash plugin.

If Flash is installed (Flash 9) via the flashplugin-nonfree package, then you can try the following command:
                      Code:
                      sudo ln -s /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/*flash* /usr/lib/firefox/plugins

Comment

As a simple solution for installing flash/ determing version of Flash player:

Use Firefox and visit Adobe.com: Version test for Adobe Flash Player (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...fm?id=tn_15507).

If Flash is not installed, you will see a note about Firefox missing a plugin for flash. Click this note and follow any steps that Firefox tells you to follow. Normally Firefox installs this plugin automatically when you click "install now".

Comment

Cyrus,

Here's the information you wanted (I hope):

flashplugin-nonfree: It's installed and the version number is 9.0.31.0.2ubuntu1

Files in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
                          flashplayer.xpt
                          libflash-mozplugin.so
                          libflashplayer.so
                          libunixplugin.so

Folders in/usr/lib that start with f
                          firefox
                          flashplugin-nonfree
                          Both have files in them.

Version of Flash Player installed: LNX9.0.31.0

Results from executing
                          Code:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/*flash* /usr/lib/firefox/plugins

Results:

ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/flashplayer.xpt' to `/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/flashplayer.xpt': File exists
                          ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so' to `/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so': File exists

I hope this helps.

Thanks again!

Comment

I was just viewing a TV station's web site and it had a video clip available on it. I clicked on the video and it played. Videos on Fox News still won't play. That is, on the Fox News site the video won't play but the sound will.

This makes no sense to me. Perhaps it will to you.

Comment

Apparently Fox News Video has some issues with all Linux users (including me, as I have no video either)

However, you may be able to fix this problem by installing two Firefox addons.

First, install the Greasemonkey Firefox addon by clicking this link:
                              http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...61017.0-fx.xpi

Restart Firefox.

Install this Greasemonkey script in Firefox by pointing at this link:
                              http://userscripts.org/scripts/source/1371.user.js

Comment

Working...
                              X