This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu noob trouble with synce for PDA

Ok I have followed instructions at http://www.synce.org/index.php/Windo...n_Installation to get synce installed. I have configured raki but cannot connect to my PDA, which is a Viewsonc running Pocket PC 2003. It's connected via USB, but nothing on the system tells me that it is making a valid connection. Are there any simple installation packages that PROMPT you for configuration input graphically? I'm getting so sick and tired of using the terminal, I for one do not appreciate it the power of the terminal. I want simplicity. Any advice for the TRUE noobs of Linux? I have Open Office, The Gimp, Konqueror (Firefox will not run stable for anything!) with no plugins for any type of multimedia which makes the web BORING. Fortunately after replacing my wifi card I was able to use the Wireless Lan Manager to connect. Now I just want my PDA to sync and that's all I need from my OS. Oh, with the Knoppix Live CD I was able to browse my NTFS partition and open and view files, but I can't figure out how to get that to work in Kubuntu. Any advice for that one too?

I really want to get Kubuntu working in a way that I can be productive. I'm a brand new to Linux, and so far my experience has been really iffy at most. I like the KDE Linux enviroment but, now I know that I am going to offend a lot of users here, I'm having a hard time being productive at all on this OS. It's worse than using Windows for me. I always think of the stereotype of the difference between PC users and Apple users: in that Apple users simply use their computer and are productive and get things done, whereas PC/Windows users spend their time troubleshooting/upgrading/updating . . .etc...WELL my Linux experience is the PC stereotype to the nth degree!! I have had it on my laptop for about two weeks and the entire time I have spent with it is just trying to figure out how to get anything to work with it. Every piece of software seems to be installed via Terminal. Most commands I input are cryptic at best as to their function. There doesn't seem to be a real GUI to troubleshoot software installation. I feel like I follow instructions well enough, but there's nothing friendly so far about Linux other than the fact that is free. I would never recommend this OS for new users. People who have problems with Windows? Linux in my opinion will kill them. It's a software developers heaven of geekness.

Working...
X