Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with kdm, wireless an nvidia driver...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with kdm, wireless an nvidia driver...

Well this is the problem...
    I have a XPS M1210 laptop with a nvidia card model GeForce Go 7400, when I install kubuntu the generic modules are installed but and I like to install the nvidia driver version 9755 (the newest), to do that I follow an article posted in http://goberylgo.blogspot.com to install the nvidia driver and beryl... it says that I need to remove the nvidia open source driver as follow:

sudo rm /etc/init.d/nvidia-*
    sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-glx nvidia-settings nvidia-kernel-common
    sudo gedit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common
    edita la unica linea que viene por default y que dice
    DISABLED_MODULES="" and add nv (the nvidia source driver that ubuntu loads default if detects your card properly)
    DISABLED_MODULES="nv"

when you execute the second line also are uninstalled the packages linux-generic, linux-restricted-modules-generic and linux-restricted-modules-2.6.17.11-generic. After that I install the nvidia driver and recompile the kernel from the nvidia driver... thats ok, no problem with the installation and the graphic acceleration works ok... but here the problems...

The first problem is with the fonts of the kdm splash (the screen to sign in kubuntu) because they are bigger now and the fonts of kde applications, firefox and some dialogs are bigger too.

The second problem is with my wireless card, it's an Intel PRO Wireless 82801, simply before the uninstallation of the linux-generic, linux-restricted-modules-generic, etc... the card works ok and after the nvidia driver installation the card doesn't work and the Wireless Assistant give me a message that says "wireless device was not found" and I don't know why... the ipw3945 kernel module is loaded.

Re: Problem with kdm, wireless an nvidia driver...

The latest nvidia driver is available on the nvidia-glx-new package, in order to reinstall that package the system will require the restricted modules, my advice is that you completely uninstall the nvidia driver and reinstall the nvidia-glx-new and the restricted modules.

Greetz
    Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

Working...
    X