This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to boot into Dapper without any programs running

Everytime I start up my Dapper machine, it loads the GUI and then starts several programs :
    1) Ktorrent
    2) Konquerer
    3) Firefox,
    4) Skype
    5) Konsole

Even if I close ALL these programs and properly shut down the machine, it will start load those upon boot up. Its very irritating cos some of them (like skype) asks for passwords.

Does anybody know how I can stop this from happening so Dapper starts up with no running programs on the taskbar?

Thanks

Re: How to boot into Dapper without any programs running

How about forcing KDE to "start with an empty session" ... [Alt][F2] kcmshell kcmsmserver
    In parallel, you may scan your autostart folders (e.g. ~/.kde/Autostart) for uninvited guests.

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
      How about forcing KDE to "start with an empty session" ... [Alt][F2] kcmshell kcmsmserver
      In parallel, you may scan your autostart folders (e.g. ~/.kde/Autostart) for uninvited guests.
      Thanks for the response. I think I manage to resolve this problem.

I usually shutdown my PC by typing "shutdown -h now" in Konsole. The last time I shut it down, I did it via KDE by clicking on the shutdown button. When I booted up the next time, it opened KDE without any running programs. Not sure if its just a co-incidence though.

Thanks for the advice though ...... I'll be sure to try it if the "problem" resurfaces.

Comment

Wow, I assumed that you were using the KDE session manager to shut down your system.

KDE will remember what programs were running (usually) and re-load them at boot time. Some folks love this and some hate it. However, applications might not restart so well during boot-up that are not tailored for KDE desktop--like Open Office, Thunderbird, and Firefox. If you load the Konqueror web browser and open a web site, then shut down from KDE, the browser will actually remember the web page you opened and re-open it at boot time.

I don't know about Skype, it may be KDE aware, but I have had issues trying to shut down the system with Skype open or minimized on the task bar--this is actually a known issue and might be repaired with current versions of KDE and Skype.

Yeah, all in all, it's the little things you love and hate!

Glad you figured it out!

regards
        --<br />wishing you well

Comment

Working...
        X