This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 2 not installing updates.

I downloaded and installed firefox 2 and followed the instructions on this website on doing it properly. One of the stated benefits would be automatic updates for security patches and such. Well, it has been roughly a week since 2.0.3 was pushed yet my browser hasn't been upgraded. The menu option for checking updates is greyed out. Is there something I've missed on this? Should I run firefox 2 using sudo on command line to see if it'll work?

Re: Firefox 2 not installing updates.

Originally posted by calcmandan
    I downloaded and installed firefox 2 and followed the instructions on this website
    Hmmmm -- that "instructions" part is bothersome. Firefox is a listed package in the Adept Manager -- you only need to select it on the list, and then click "Apply" to have it installed automatically. Was there something different or special about this version, or the means by which it was installed?

Comment

Well, it's firefox 2.0. Which isn't in the dapper repos, one needs to download it from the mozilla website.
      I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Ooops -- OK, apologies. I'm running Feisty and Firefox 2 is what is in the repo. Sorry. But I haven't heard of any "automatic" updating feature of Firefox 2 -- I'm using it now and just looked in the "Help" menus and I see no such capability.

Comment

I should have made clear that I'm running 6.06.1 LTS. I didn't do 6.10 because they said it wasn't stable enough for production machines. I am not the only user of this machine and there is too much stuff on here to potentially sacrifice on a testing release.

Anyway, I was on lunch when I posted the question. Now that I'm home, I ran firefox under sudo and, voila, it worked. I ran the update and installed the patch. I closed firefox and am now running it as usual.

I suppose it is good that critical changes require su.

So that's how I did it.

Comment

Read this:
            http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox
            Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

I wish I saw this post a week ago. No matter, I figured it out. Thanks.

Originally posted by aysiu

Comment

Working...
              X