This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im new and looking to install a driver

hey guys im brand new to linux and never used it before i just instaled kubuntu on my laptop and am looking to intal a linksys compact wireless-g usb adapter. some one else showed me these instruction from another forum.

( locate the soruce for the RT73 driver(ralink-rt73_1.0.3.6_all.deb), an the related RT73 firmware (ralink-rt73-source_1.0.3.6_all.deb important!!! the device won't work w/o firmware). The following procedure WILL work flawlessly: (1) get linux kernel headers for your kernel if need by. (2) get module-assistant (e.g. sudo apt-get install module-assistant). (3) compile and install the driver. (4) install the firmware. At that point the system will recognize the stick as "rausb0" when inserted. Follow the normal wifi setup for your linux distro. )

i downloaded the rt73 driver and the firmware to a cd the promlem is the rest is spanish 2 me whats kernal headers, module assistant like i sais im brand new and want to learn linux so if any1 can help me with this it would be great.

thanks

Re: im new and looking to install a driver

dont feel left out. I have completely migrated to linux and still do not understand those things too well yet. I do know a lot more than I did 2 years ago but you will learn these things when you are ready. For now just have fun and the knowledge will flow

As far as your linksys instructions just try to learn as you go along as I was in the same position. eventually it will sink in and you will find Linux is much easier to use than you think.

Comment

Working...
    X