This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth going from Dapper to Edgy?

Well, I've got 6.06 running smoothly right now, but I wanted to go for the new stable releases of my applications, which don't seem to be available for 6.06, at least not the XFCE update that gives a trash can.

Can I upgrade directly to 6.10, without burning another ISO?

Is it worth upgrading to Edgy, or should I stick to with LTS?

Is it possible to get latest stable XFCE with Dapper?

Cheers,
    Joro.

Re: Worth going from Dapper to Edgy?

I'm new to this but I do know that you can upgrade from 6.06 to 6.10 without an iso; just do a full upgrade.
    Everything is available if you're willing to go outside the repositories and rpms can be converted to debs with alien.

Comment

To instal alien:

sudo apt-get install libgtk1.2 alien

to convert an rpm with alien:

sudo alien *********************.rpm

to instal a deb:

sudo dpkg -i **********************.deb

Comment

Users of Kubuntu 6.06 LTS can upgrade to 6.10 over the internet by following these instructions:

* NOTE: This procedure upgrades your system over the Internet, which requires a large download of several hundred megabytes.
        * In Konqueror go to /etc/apt, right click on sources.list and choose Actions -> Edit as Root
        * Change all instances of dapper to edgy
        * Launch a console with KMenu -> System -> Konsole
        * In the console run: sudo apt-get update
        * In the console run: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and follow the prompts to upgrade
        * In the console run: sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop python-qt3 python-kde3 ubuntu-minimal and follow the prompts to install
        * Reboot your computer

These instructions came from here: http://kubuntu.org/announcements/6.10-release.php

This is what I used to upgrade worked good no issues or problem.
        Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

I have experimented with upgrades and just like in Windows upgrades, things can go wrong. If everything is working fine it would not be worth the time to upgrade. If you do decide to upgrade be advised to start an hour before going to bed as it will take a "long time". It would be much faster to just reinstall everything from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorophose
            Can I upgrade directly to 6.10, without burning another ISO?
            You can get readily burned CD's from several sellers at nearly production cost.

Comment

Hi everyone new to the forum, have a question about Edgy what improvements
              does Edgy have over Dapper I really don't know I am using dapper right now but I do have the iso of Edgy and can burn it. better to use the cd or do the on-line?

Comment

I've done the upgrade from Dapper to Edgy and recently Edgy to Feisty. The first I did through konsole. A few problems, yes, but worth it and didn't loose a thing. Long, yes, but with a decent internet connection less than 3 hours the entire process. If using 56K then it probably would take all day. The last was done through their new Upgrade process which has gone fairly well. At least the two tests I did went well. Again, a little less than 3 hours for that. The need to update is totally up to you.

Comment

Working...
                X