This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Guarddog - problems!!

I'm using 6.10 and I've been trying to install guarddog via apt-get but it gives me the following error message:

unable to start guarddog firewall - /etc/rc.firewall does not exist

how do I get around this problem? I've searched all the threads relating to guarddogg on here but no one else seems to have had this problem.

Also, I can't seem to use Adept package manager - every time I try to load it up via the K menu it just says 'loading application' for ages and then disappears.

Both these problems have occured with two seperate installations of Kubuntu now (both on the same computer) so I'm kind of at a loss.

Re: Installing Guarddog - problems!!

Originally posted by ChildOfMana
    unable to start guarddog firewall - /etc/rc.firewall does not exist
    How about sudo touch /etc/rc.firewall then?

Comment

Do I type this into a terminal? What does it do?

In case you haven't guessed I'm a n00b by the way!!

Comment

Do I type this into a terminal?
        Yep.

What does it do?
        Create an empty file to feed the (guard)dog with.

In case you haven't guessed I'm a n00b by the way!
        Then why do you tinker with a firewall (I have none, and I'm still alive ...).

Comment

Yes it's in a terminal

The touch command creates an empty file if you give it a filename that doesn't already exist. (Giving it a name that DOES already exist just updates the modification time to the present)

Unicornrider is right; you probably don't need a firewall. The only real reason to have one is if you are running servers and only want them accessible from certain other computers, e.g. a work or university network. Many of my computing troubles have turned out to be due to a misconfigured firewall.
          I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Then why do you tinker with a firewall (I have none, and I'm still alive ...).
            [/quote]

Because how else am I going to learn??

Thanks for the advice - still having problems though. Now guarddog won't load. It just keeps saying 'loading application' and then eventually disappears off the taskbar - same as with Adept.

Comment

Thanks cantab - you're right. I think I'll give the firewall a miss for now.

Anyone know what, if anything, I can do about the similar problem I'm having with adept??

Comment

I can do about the similar problem I'm having with adept?
                Did you try other "root only" tools, e.g. [Alt][F2] kdesu kcontrol ... if that the problem were the same, I'd suspect the sudo mechanism of misbehaving.

Comment

Just tried it now and it works fine, so no problems with sudo in general it seems.

Comment

no problems with sudo in general it seems
                    O.k., then back to the console (thereby sidestepping any interfering interface, so to speak ...):

Code:
                    sudo apt-get update

Comment

You should not use sudo to run gui programs as root, or run them from an interactive root shell. It's something to do with the X-server, but I suggest you use
                      Code:
                      kdesu <command> &
                      for running gui stuff as root.
                      I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Working...
                      X