This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re-partition

I am currently using Kubuntu but i have to install windows along side it, without removing linux how can i do it so both OS's run side by side;. i have a 80g hd with no windows installed.

Thanks in advance

Re: re-partition

install vmware server and install windows in the vm. check out vmware.com. The it is free if you look around on the site...

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mfburgo
      install vmware server and install windows in the vm
      http://www.penguin.ch/dokuwiki/doku....l:vmware:model 8)

Comment

It's a nuisance, but you can get a native windows install to work.

Firstly, I MAKE NO GUARANTEES THIS WON'T GO BADLY WRONG, so BACK UP YOUR DATA.

Secondly it's INCOMPLETE - hopefully someone else can continue, or you'll have to do some reading around.

Then, run the following command in Linux:
        Code:
        sudo dd if=/dev/hda of=~/mbr_backup bs=446
        Make a copy of the file mbr_backup somewhere SAFE, other than on your harddrive.

Resize the Linux partition and create a windows one in the free space.

Boot the Windows install CD and install to your new partition. Make sure it's the right one! I am assuming said install CD allows you to choose the partition to install to; I'm not familiar with windows installations.

Once windows is installed, boot into a live linux cd (the ubuntu 'desktop' install is one option).

Once in, run the following command:

Code:
        sudo dd if=$WHERE_YOU_PUT_IT/mbr_backup of=/dev/hda bs=446
        . This will restore your Linux bootloader. You might need to mount the device you kept the mbr_backup file on.

Now you must configure said bootloader to load windows. It's fairly straightforward but I can't remember the details right now.
        I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Working...
        X