X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox has suddenly become REALLY slow

Hello,

I am relatively new to Kubuntu, but have been running Mepis for years. I am having a problem with fire fox that caused me to dump kubuntu a while back, but I wanted to try it again and the same issue has come up. I am using 6.06.1 and for the firs week of use most things have been fine (there is an issue of not being able to play radio stations but that is for another day). Last night firefox was working great and then today, it takes forever to connect to some sites and others it wont connect to at all. Konqueror is working fine. Please, Please Please help me with this I really want to not reinstall my os again for the 5th time this month.

Re: Firefox has suddenly become REALLY slow

Maybe you should try using Swiftfox (an optimized build of Firefox for Linux).

Add the repository to your sources.list file (kdesu kate /etc/apt/source.list):
    deb http://getswiftfox.com/builds/debian unstable non-free

Install from a terminal window as root using the correct package name:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install swiftfox-athlon-xp

Package names you can use (replace the swiftfox-athlon-xp with the one for your processor)
    swiftfox-athlon
    swiftfox-athlon-xp
    swiftfox-athlon64
    swiftfox-athlon64-32bit (AMD64 users on a 32bit OS)
    swiftfox-k6-2
    swiftfox-pentium-m
    swiftfox-pentium2
    swiftfox-pentium3
    swiftfox-pentium3m
    swiftfox-pentium4
    swiftfox-prescott

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately my processor is not in that list. I have an AMD sempron 3100. I think there may be a larger issue also. I have noticed that thunderbird, which was working fine, is only able to access one of the two mail servers that I use. I would have tried your solution though if my processor was listed.

Comment

Use the processor Athlon XP.

Also, your problem may be the result of IPv6 interfering with IPv4 (which you are using).

You'll find that the reason this happens is because apps will first attempt a connection on IPv6. When this fails, they'll then switch to IPv4. It's this first attempt that causes the delay. This delay is most likely in name resolution.

You can tweak by disabling IPv6 if you don't use it.

It is not about download speed after the connection is made. It is about the time it takes to connect. Here is an explanation about ipv6. The time being saved is before you connect to a site.

IPv6 is short for "Internet Protocol Version 6". IPv6 is the "next generation" protocol designed by the IETF to replace the current version Internet Protocol, IP Version 4 ("IPv4").

Most of today's internet uses IPv4, which is now nearly twenty years old. IPv4 has been remarkably resilient in spite of its age, but it is beginning to have problems. Most importantly, there is a growing shortage of IPv4 addresses, which are needed by all new machines added to the Internet.

IPv6 fixes a number of problems in IPv4, such as the limited number of available IPv4 addresses. It also adds many improvements to IPv4 in areas such as routing and network autoconfiguration. IPv6 is expected to gradually replace IPv4, with the two coexisting for a number of years during a transition period.

See this documentation on how to disable IPv6:
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/We...ngSlowIPv6IPv4

Comment

Thank you very much, I'm glad you explained that so clearly. I had seen references to this earlier but it didn't seem clear. Disabling ipv6 sees to have solved my problems. Do you think that I should still install swiftfox? I hate to fix what is not broken.

Now on to the radio station issue.

Jason

Comment

Re: Firefox fixen now apt-get broken

Hello,

The ipv6 disable fixed the problem I was having with firefox, but now adept is not working. in fact when I tried to apt-get from the konsole, I got this error:

Code:
            seawing@seawing-desktop:~$ kdesu apt-get update
            X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
             Major opcode: 144
             Minor opcode: 3
             Resource id: 0x0
            Failed to open device
            Failed to open device
            0% [Working]
            0% [Connecting to ca.archive.ubuntu.com (1.0.0.0)] [Connecting to security.ubun
            0% [Connecting to ca.archive.ubu... ???
            Any ideas?

Jason

Comment

>>solved<<

OK, I figured it out. I had to re-enable ipv6 and then go to firefox and about:config and turn the ipv6 listing to true. Now everything (Except Thunderbird is still a bit tweeky) works!!!

Thanks for all the wonderful Ubuntu!

Comment

Do you use IPv6 for the Internet?
                See the site http://ipv6gate.sixxs.net/
                And what does it say at the following part:

Code:
                [b]What Internet Protocol am I using?[/b]
                You are using _ and are coming from _.
                If you use IPv6 then you should not disable IPv6 (duh). But if you are using IPv4, then there is not much of a point to having IPv4 enabled (in fact it will probably slow down name resolution and therefore your browsing would seem slower). Tell me what Internet protocol you are using and we have to see why apt-get is not working. Is everything except Thunderbird as fast as it should be?

You can ignore the following issue:
                Code:
                Failed to open device
                Failed to open device
                You can check out the following thread to solve it, but the issue won't cause you any troubles.
                http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1264009

Comment

This is what it said:
                  You are using IPv4 and are coming from 71.217.109.73.
                  Apparently you don't have a IPv6 connection yet,
                  Apt-get seems to be working fine now and I can do an install from adept with no problems. The only thing that seems weird is Thunderbird. I have 3 email addresses I check, two from my own website (sales@volcanicceramics.com)and the other from work (admin@community-resources.com). The first two work fine, but the one from work now won't receive messages, where it did before. I can send with no problem and I can receive to that address using kmail (but not send >)

I would be grateful for any insights.

Jason

Comment

Working...
                  X