This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

k3b

Since the last update of adept k3b shows missing program dvd+rw-tools. When I try to install it in adept manager I get the message "BREAK (Install)". In a terminal window it gives the message "genisoimage needed but can't be installed".
    I tried to install the tarball genisoimage manually but then I get all kind of not correct dependencies (level too low).
    My question is how this could be solved and in general how to repair a "BREAK".
    Any help very much appreciated......

Re: k3b

k3b should run fine without that. 'BREAK' roughly means that package A you are trying to install, and package B already on your system, cannot be present together, and package C depends on package B. I've a feeling this might be due to some debian forking malarky in this case, can't remember details though.

Don't try to install genisoimage from a tarball, try to track it down in adept and see why it's conflicting. If it's not there, check you have the universe and multiverse repos.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

I too am having this problem and cannot find genisoimage. I do have the multiverse and universe repositories enabled. I have them on the same line; do they need to be separated now?? What I have in adept:

deb http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper main restricted universe multiverse
      deb-src http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper main restricted universe multiverse

Maybe the Australian archive has had a hissy fit?? Anyone suggest another archive I can point at to try??

Comment

similar problem here, tho not from k3b......i simply noticed the adept updater icon and ran it. It showed me dvd tools pkg with a no change requested (why notify me of an update, then?) when i tried to see what would happen when i chose to update, I got a broken warning....so clicked no changes and exit, and closed adept.

But the lightning bolt adept update notice was still in the taskbar, So i ran it again. same thing....when i tried to see what would happen when uninstalling the dvd+rw tools, it then offered to remove kubuntu, ubuntu and xubuntu desktops

No idea why this is going on, and have disabled adept, an app i never really liked anyway (not compared to synaptic or good old apt-get) but no i dont trust at all.....am wondering if i would face the same problems if i ran an apt-get update and upgraded pkgs that it recommended? is the bug in dvd tools, or adept, or an apt get wide issue?? given im running dapper, i assume it has nothing to do with the beta quality of running something like fiesty......

i used to like and trust adept at least to advise me of updates, but now? any ideas whats going on?

Comment

Apt-get will 'keep back' the package too. And then adept-notifier is slightly iffy and will have a go about it.

My answer is just ignore it, leave it as the old version.
          I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

My problem is/was I needed "growisofs" which is in the DVD+rw-tools. However this would not install without genisoimage, which I could not find.
            When I checked this morning, I noticed that the "required" package had changed from "genisoimage" to "mkisofs or genisoimage" so it is all good now.

Comment

My problem is/was I needed "growisofs" which is in the DVD+rw-tools. However this would not install without genisoimage, which I could not find.
              When I checked this morning, I noticed that the "required" package had changed from "genisoimage" to "mkisofs or genisoimage" so it is all good now.

Comment

Great! Thanks for all the quick help. In the meantime, as predicted, the problem solved itself after running adept again.

Comment

Working...
                X