Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What media, audio, video players are most needed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What media, audio, video players are most needed?

I have several media player, audio, CD player, video etc type programs I have downlaoded for kubuntu but am wondering which are most needed. I notice four media players but don't know if any of them actually work yet. I have a KsCd player playing music right now but sound isn't real great through these small laptop speakers. I want to be able to watch CNN and Yahoo videos and movie trailers on Internet but haven't figured out how to do this yet. YouTube videos seem to play all right but sound is intermittent.

Re: What media, audio, video players are most needed?

OK, there's quite a bit here.

The best music player is amarok. However, you also need to install several additional codecs. I can't recall exactly how to do so right now.

For video, you have the choice of xine, mplayer, or vlc. I suggest installing all three, you will come to learn their strengths and weaknesses. Kaffeine is a kde interface to xine.

As for the YouTube videos, I suggest closing all other multimedia applications before viewing them, and possibly restarting firefox too.

For sound quality - get a set of PC speakers or headphones. Even a basic pair of stereo speakers will be better than what you have, but go for one with a subwoofer if you want more bass.

For CNN and Yahoo, I can't help there sorry.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

I've whittled it down to needing Amarok with extracodecs, which will play CDs also so you can ditch kscd.

Kaffeine for video and dvd etc and

(I know, I know!) RealPlayer (there I said it!) for the bbc etc and for those odd occasions when you get an avi or something that just won't play in OSS tools. You'll also want flashplayer for Youtube and stuff and that is about it.

Child
      http://www.last.fm/music/The+Pony+Collaboration

Comment

... and the mplayer plugin for firefox / konqueror.

Comment

YouTube uses flash. When viewing a video, right click on the screen and select "Settings" from the flash menu. Cick on the icon that looks like a file folder, and when that opens, slide the slider all the way to the right. That should help with the choppy sound problem.

Comment

Thanks for the helpful suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by krazy
              ... and the mplayer plugin for firefox / konqueror.
              To tell the truth between realplayer and Kaffiene with the w32 codecs I find no need for Mplayer as well. It makes for a very streamlined system.

In theory youcould get away with just Kaffiene and Realplayer as Kaffiene will play cds as well as .ogg/.mp3 but the playlisting etc isn't as nice as Amarok + Amarok integrates with www.last.fm really nicely too.

Child
              http://www.last.fm/music/The+Pony+Collaboration

Comment

I personally use KPlayer for everything: audio or video. It has great DVD support, can play WMV9 and YouTube (flash) videos without any win32 codecs, it is very stable, and I like the interface too.

Make sure you have MPlayer, libdvdcss, libavcodec, and libavformat, since KPlayer needs those. You can also install the win32 codecs just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by epist
                  I personally use KPlayer for everything: audio or video. It has great DVD support, can play WMV9 and YouTube (flash) videos without any win32 codecs, it is very stable, and I like the interface too.

Make sure you have MPlayer, libdvdcss, libavcodec, and libavformat, since KPlayer needs those. You can also install the win32 codecs just in case.
                  When I searched for this program under the programs I have to install new programs it wouldn't come up.
                  Should I be able to install it with Adept, Automatix, or Synaptic?

Comment

Originally posted by cantab
                    As for the YouTube videos, I suggest closing all other multimedia applications before viewing them, and possibly restarting firefox too.
                    are you using old flash player (that uses oss) if so then consider installing new one with alsa support

Comment

Working...
                    X