Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need to make the taskbar bigger; plus need to make icons of open items bigger

I am kinda blind and I need to make my taskbar much bigger plus I need to make the icons that show the open items that are running (software, folders, etc) bigger so I can see them better.
    Any help?
    Also, if I can make the arrow of the mouse pointer bigger that would help a lot too.

Re: need to make the taskbar bigger; plus need to make icons of open items bigge

The simplest and possibly best way is to reduce your resolution. Hit Alt+F2, then type krandrtray (EDIT: fixed typo) into the box and click run. This will put an icon in you system tray (a blue box with a diagonal arrow across it). Clicking on this should pop up a list of resolutions. Choose one lower than at present and everything will become bigger.

The drawback to this is things can look a bit rubbish if you have an LCD monitor (like most people do nowadays)

Also, under certain circumstances this will crash the GUI and return you to the login prompt. If that happens, let us know.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Re: need to make the taskbar bigger; plus need to make icons of open items bigge

thanx I will try that and report back. I am actually using the olde CRT monitor so this should be fine.

Comment

I'm afraid there is no krandtray command or utility on mine, even after I installed the KDE utilities. WHat package installs it?

Comment

Sorry, my bad, the CORRECT command is krandrtray, I typod it.
          I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

ah yes krandrtray is the right spelling and it does appear in the tasktray but when i choose a diff resolution the KDE reboots and its back to the original resolution

Comment

Yes, that's an issue I faced.

Please copy your /etc/X11/xorg.conf here, and also tell me what your graphics card/chip is. (I'm not sure how to find that out if you don't know)

Basically in said file, there will be a part like

Code:
              Section "Device"
                  Identifier   "Generic Video Card"
                  Driver     "vesa"
                  BusID      "PCI:1:0:0"
              EndSection
              The line that says "vesa" needs to be changed to one appropriate for your graphics card.

Comment

Working...
              X