This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept gets no response from Internet

I cant get any of the package handlers to access the internet.

I am running a foxconn winfast K7S 741mg motherboard.
    My internet connection is via eth0 to a d-link adsl router DSL-504T. This is running as the dhcp host. Although konqueror accesses internet fine the D-link box says it has no DHCP clients available.

When I try running adept fetch updates it sits around "waiting for headers 0%" for a long time (5 mins at least) and then returns to main screen with nothing having happened

I have now tried Ubunbtu Edgy Kubuntu edgy and am now running Kubuntu Dapper. briefly the edgy releases all had problems with IPv6 which had to be disabled before the Internet could be accessed. Dapper worked fine for browsing but not for updates.

When installing dapper there was a message about being unable to "check updates" (I think) which I skipped.
    I tried the "Manage repositories" and found they were all grey. The top two said they were commented out by installer as they failed to verify. I have now enabled them. This seemed to increase the wait for headers which feels like a timeout.

Re: Adept gets no response from Internet

I'm having the same problem with dapper, ubuntu, and mint (ubuntu variant). The "wired connection" is active and reading my adsl modem, the ethernet card shows up, it even knows when I unplug the modem but nothing will access the internet: firefox, adept, gaim.... I couldn't "check for updates" during install either. I've posted to mint forum and ubuntu but haven't gotten any response except to ask if I'd "enabled" the network in Settings/ Administration / network[i] which I've done of course.

Glad to see I'm not alone.....

Comment

Just to eliminate a potential source of trouble: what does your /etc/resolv.conf look like?

Comment

/etc/resolv.conf has one line
        nameserver 192.168.1.1
        that being the address of the d-link box
        thanx

Comment

Originally posted by gimliflea
          nameserver 192.168.1.1
          Gotcha assigning the job of a nameserver to a simpe router means overburding the little blighter by far ... please, be cute, ask your ISP for a real nameserver's address and update the file accordingly.

Comment

That does seem to work. Though why the router has worked fine with up to 4 win machines and can't support one linux is not clear to me. At least now I might be able to get other things working.
            thanx for your help

Comment

Although this fix works after a reboot it has reset itself to 192.168.1.1.
              What I think I need to do is set the box as a dhcp client but i can find no way of doing this.
              In network settings eth0 has an ip address 192.168.1.2
              DNS has address of isp's primary dns as I have changed it?
              Proxy has box ticked for connect to internet directly.
              Somewhere I think I have seen a button which said dhcp was on auto but I cant find it again.
              I find it puzzling that different apps seem to use IP differently. My understanding was that IP should be invisible to the apps as it is a layer or two below them.

Comment

Originally posted by gimliflea
                Although this fix works after a reboot it has reset itself to 192.168.1.1
                Tz, tz, tz ... "refix" it, then set it to be read-only: sudo chmod 444 /etc/resolv.conf

Comment

Working...
                X