X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front end for pon/poff to replace kppp?

hey folks:

i live in north america (usa)

after doing many tests with a normal dial up connection, kppp seems to flop 2 out of 3 tries. i've changed the auth settings in /etc/ppp so sometimes it will actually connect. still, my mum only has dial up and now that she is using kubuntu, i really want to make getting connected easier. right now she is opening a konsole and giving the command 'pon' to connect and 'poff' to go offline. these commands work every time, but it is cumbersome.

is there a nice front-end gui for pon/poff that a dialup user could easily install?

thank you

wishing you well.
    --<br />wishing you well

Re: front end for pon/poff to replace kppp?

you are not the only one with kppp issues that I have heard of recently. I have seen most issues with OpenSuSE in this field at our LUG meetings. We have one member who, bless his soul, is using dial-up as well. I haven't messed with dial-up in so long, and when I did it was back in the infamous wvdial days. How about creating 2 files on her desktop that are executable (chmod +x) for each command? This might work until someone has a better solution, but that is my hackish tip for the day
    Richard Johnson (nixternal)<br />Core Developer :: MOTU :: MOTU Council :: Community Council<br />https://launchpad.net/~nixternal<br />http://www.nixternal.com

Comment

i really have considered it. still, it would be nice if there was a simple add-on gui that is dockable. kppp looks really nice, but, at least for me and those here who have tried it, just isn't stable like pon kppp disn't even detect accounts that are created with pppconfig. grrrr

good ol' libranet had exactly the dialer i'm talking about. i really wish they had freed that code before strapping the biz. . .

btw, i did use wvdialconf and was completely impressed! it found my usb serial port and modem, learned speeds etc. . . very nice code!

wishing you well.
      --<br />wishing you well

Comment

icons for pon/poff are not working.

i know there is a trick needed to get a kde start icon to run a command line app, but i haven't figured out what it is yet!

tips?
        --<br />wishing you well

Comment

I think if you right click on the desktop, Link to Application. You should be able to select any icon you want and put the commands in you want.

I have used KPPP for a couple of years now with a couple of different distros and have had no real problems, Just /etc/ppp/peers/kppp-option #noauth, I have to remember every time I install.
          ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Working...
          X