This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet stopped working

Ok, I don't know what happened, but I cannot connect to any website in Kubuntu. I am connected to the internet with an ethernet cable. If I try to connect to a WiFi hotspot, it says "unable to connect." What's wrong? The last thing I installed before I had this this problem was "Linux DC++"

NOTE: I have Windows XP on my machine too, and the internet works both wired and WiFi

Re: Internet stopped working

try unistalling DC++. what is your IP address? What is your set up? How do you connect? Do you have a firewall? Please explain your set up.

Comment

I am in college at RIT. My setup is simple. I connect by plugging in an ethernet cable from my computer to the network jack in the wall. I have a software firewall installed in Windows, but not in Linux. My wired IP is 129.21.21.219.

Now, I have another problem, in Windows when I connect to a WiFi network, I can connect, but I can't view any websites.

Also, my computer has a hardware WiFi switch to turn it on/off. And in Linux the WiFi helper, when the switch was able to enable my WiFi, without me having to turn my switch on...

Comment

Do you have to register your mac address? if that is the case the DHCP server might be confused as why it has to give out another IP to the same mac. Just to confirm you did not install a firewall in your Linux partition right? Do you use a router or do you actually plug directly into the data port? Check to see if your wireless is getting an IP address. It might be conflicting with the ethernet. try disabling your wireless. Try using the live cd and see if you can surf using that.

Comment

Working...
        X