X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WEP vs Unseccured

Hello,
    I am rather new to kubuntu but am looking for a change from xp. I had no problems installing kubuntu and getting it running but now my wireless internet is sometimes working. Heres the problem:

If I make my router unsecured (aka no wep or wpa settings) and turn of my mac filter (allowing only my computer on) and broadcast the ssid I can connect to my router just fine and surf the internet.

If I make my router have wep and turn on my mac filter and continue to broadcast my ssid kubuntu wireless network assistant cannot connect to the network. I've made sure that the network key is correct when I type it so I don't think I'm just fat fingering something.

It would be great to have some security over my wlan but kubuntu won't play nice as of yet. Any ideas?

Re: WEP vs Unseccured

I would make each change one at a time and see where the problem is. Start with no encryption, mac filtering, and broadcasting your essid, then do one at a time. I would actually do them in easiest to hardest order, which I see as this:

Going from totally open to:
    1) Turn on MAC filtering, see if you can connect. If so, go to 2. If not, check your router documentation on MAC filtering set up again.
    2) Once MAC filtering works, turn off your essid broadcasting, see if you can connect. If so, step 3. If not, checked the docs on essid broadcasting
    3) Once MAC Filtering and no essid broadcasting work nicely, turn on WEP encryption.

:: antoher ubuntu blog :: get linux    ::    ubuntu documentation project ::

Comment

Re: WEP vs Unseccured

Does it matter if my router is set on 64 or 128 bit wep encryption?

Comment

Working...
      X