This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proxy settings and kdesu

After many web searches, and finding out that other people are having the same problem, I figured I'd ask here. I'm running Dapper through a 802.11g connection through squid on a different machine also running on Dapper. I've got the same proxy settings configured in the system control panel, in apt.conf and via bashrc to the http_proxy environment variable. Now here's the interesting part.
    Starting Adept from the K menu, no updates will be fetched and no packages downloaded.
    However, if I start adept from the terminal with sudo adept, everything works fine - fetching new lists, downloading updates, everything.

This behaviour is the same no matter how I configure the proxy settings. I've tried everything from fixed settings to automatic proxy configuration scripts - the problem stays the same. Adept through sudo works, but not through the K menu and kdesu.

If anyone here has any hunches of why this might be, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Re: Proxy settings and kdesu

Originally posted by Dodger73
    If anyone here has any hunches of why this might be, I'd certainly appreciate it!
    Try checking KDE proxy settings from konqueror or system settings

HTH

Comment

Thanks for the reply

I tried both of those in different variations. Nothing seems to have an effect.
      Another thing I forgot to mention is, that this is a non-transparent proxy... it might have something to do with that; I'll try redirecting port 80 later tonight, and see if that helps.

Comment

So, making the proxy transparent didn't help any either. The behaviour is still the same.

Another tidbit is, that all other applications can access the net fine when started from KDE - just the ones that are running through kdesu (i.e. adept and the adept updater) seem to be unable to access the proxy. If I run kdesu adept through the terminal (where the http_proxy environment variable was set through bashrc), everything works fine.

Comment

Adding the http_proxy variable also in
          Code:
          /root/.bashrc
          should solve the problem

Comment

Thanks for your reply - that didn't help, either, however. :/

Comment

Sorry. what I have suggested was for the opposite problem..... I have read badly.. sorry again

Comment

No need to apologize - thanks for trying
                So it looks like this is some sort of bug, and not user error - is there anyone else that has the same problem?

Comment

Working...
                X