X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with my ethernet connection

Hello everybody,

I am trying to configure my ethernet connection at work. They provide me a IP, netmask, gateway and DNS addresses, so I cannot use DHCP.

I have tried configuring the connection using the network using K->System Settings->Network Settings.

I entered everything and it worked great. However, two days ago, I had internet installed at home and tried to connect to the wifi. It did not work (it could be the subject of a future post), and since then it seems that my ethernet connection is not working either (I had to put back all the addresses). When I ping www.google.com or my gateway, it manages to send packets, but 100% of the packets received are lost.

Any solution?

Nicolas

Re: Problem with my ethernet connection

Hi,

I guess you've screwed the file /etc/network/interfaces by trying to set devices and in /etc/iftab there was no interface configured...
    So first of all check the content of ifconfig -a, then of cat /etc/iftab
    and finally of /etc/network/interfaces, can you post all this please ?
    I will try to help.

If you can't, so remember all interface you have in ifconfig, like lo, eth0,...
    then open the file to configure it :
    kdesu kate /etc/network/interfaces
    Make a backup of it, and finally modify it. For lo, let it like it is, for all other, make them, like this :
    auto <interface_like_eth0>
    iface <interface_like_eth0> inet dhcp

And finally try to configure the network, like you did on first time.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
    X