This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu, VMWare Server, and Samba/NFS

I have installed Windows XP on VMWare Server. I want to be able to share a folder (actually almost a whole partition) between my Kubuntu host and XP on VMWare. I've read that Samba would let me do this. But the thing is, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to networking stuff, let alone Samba. I'm also not familiar that much with VMWare Server.

Also, I was wondering how to the same with another distro on VMWare, sharing files between Linux and Linux.

I'd appreciate any help I could get. Thanks a lot!
    Jucato's Data Core

Re: Kubuntu, VMWare Server, and Samba/NFS

Never used VMWare but I have and still do, use Samba.

HEre is a nice 10 minute guide on it :
    https://www.hentzenwerke.com/wp/file...inuteguide.pdf

So you have a router? Both machines connected to it? Can you ping the address on one computer to the other? So, if you were on your linux box, from a terminal you can run "ifconfig" to get the IP on linux. GO to Windows and see if you can ping that address. Hopefull you can get a reply. Do the same on windows. Run "ipconfig" and get the IP of windows, go back to linux and make sure it pings from there.

After that, set up Samba so that both computers are on the same "Domain". Can do that on Linux from the smb.conf file. Which you can read about on that PDF up there.

After Samba is installed, you pretty much done. You can set what to share on Linux, like the home directory or whatever. As far as sharing your Windows partition to the Linux box...not sure if that's really a good idea. If you are just on a home network, then it's not that big of a deal I guess, but I don't want a bunch of shared folders on my computer.

What you could do is make sure that the share and security of the windows partition is set for just your Windows user and your linux user.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Re: Kubuntu, VMWare Server, and Samba/NFS

Sorry to go a bit off subject ...

Jucato, could you point me to a good howto on VMware. I still have one or two things which only work on windows (my printer, my home banking program, and the vosky call center). If I could simply run them virtually, I'd be quite happy.

Cprompt,

I'm currently reading the PDF you point to and it seems great. I will get back to you when I have finished.

Mark

Comment

Working...
      X