This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cant even get wep to wk

i am having a terrible time getting any router security to work.

this is my personal experience with what i have tried so far. and a new install. and a new to linux experience.

whenever i make a change to the wireless in any way, i must goto kmenu, system settings and network and disable the network. then i MUST reboot and goto kmenu, internet, wireless and connect.

but even this does not work once i encrypt the router. so i thought i would try a simple 64 bit key, but i cannot find a way to connect

what am i doing wrong?

please help;

standard linksys router
    linksys wireless card kubuntu sees by default

Re: cant even get wep to wk

after posting several questions and never once getting any kind of responce at all, can i assume that this forum is dead?

Comment

i dont think the fourm is dead... i think the issue is that people who use k/ubuntu tend to all be newbies... it's hard for us to help eachother when we're all in the same boat.

my advise is to also post to ubuntu forums and google for any "debian" specific answers to your questions. Debian is a very prominant distrobution and k/ubuntu is derived from Debian...

Don't give up

Peace,

Q aka Matt

Comment

Hi,

When I've enabled the wep on wifi between my linksys router and my centrino laptop (using chipset ipw2200). I was using a wired computer and my laptop to test :
        on the wired, changing security of the routeur.
        Then on the laptop :
        sudo iwconfig <interface> key <thekey>
        sudo dhclient <interface>

And it was getting a new ip... Or not if my settings were wrong.

Is it helping you ?

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X