X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing folders from NTFS (in Linux) to WinXP

Hi all,

Recently made the jump to try Kubuntu, so I setup a dual boot on my XP machine. Kubuntu was smart enough to pick up on my NTFS partitions, and mount them properly under /media.

But I would like to share the NTFS partitions on my lan (read-only). I created a user, and an smbuser, and from the XP machine, I can login and see the home folder. I created a sym link (ln -s publix /media/hde1/myPublic/) in the smbuser's home folder, and can travers this sym link from the Linux machine (using the same user/smbuser account). But from the XP machine, the sym link doesn't even show up.

Any help?

Re: Sharing folders from NTFS (in Linux) to WinXP

Can you explain your setup again? I think you are saying:

Dual Boot Linux/XP --> Lan - Desire to share NTFS partition from this box to the lan

what flavor are the boxes on your lan? XP?/Linux?/MacOS?/BSD? etc..

also, what have you been able to do and what cant you do that you want to do...?

in order to share an NTFS partition on a machine running Kubuntu, you have to set that filesystem up as a network share... SMB/CIFS or NFS, most likely...

to have the same filesystem shared on the same box but with XP running, you have to configure said filesystem as an SMB/CIFS share under XP...

with some more details, I think I can help you get up and running

peace,

Q aka Matt

Comment

Working...
    X