X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wifi

Hi everyone!
    I have a problem with my internet connection.
    And it is very strange situation.
    I have an access point. In my computer (notebook) there are two OS: WinXP and Kubuntu.
    In kubuntu I configured the network/ But it doesn't seems to be right.
    IP of access point – 192.168.2.1, my IP – 192.168.2.6.
    ping 192.168.2.1
    64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=1.31 ms

That is good. But:
    $ ping www.google.com
    PING www.google.com (66.249.93.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 66.249.93.99: icmp_seq=1 ttl=243 time=50.8 ms
    64 bytes from 66.249.93.99: icmp_seq=2 ttl=243 time=123 ms
    64 bytes from 66.249.93.99: icmp_seq=3 ttl=243 time=68.2 ms

--- www.google.com ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 23204ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 50.864/80.768/123.224/30.846 ms

And it's killing me – I can't work normally.
    I thought that problem with wifi adapter, but in XP everything is perfect.
    Please, suggest me something.

Re: wifi

I do not think that anything is wrong. Why would you need a shorter ping time from Google? I have just tried from my address in the UK (I am on broadband) and am sometimes seeing even longer times, but the ping times have very little to do with the data transfer rate. What is it, apart from the ping times, that is not working as you think it should?

But I was given a different IP address for Google by the DNS system. Try pinging 64.233.183.103 to see if it is any different.

Otherwise, have you set up your DNS servers correctly? System Settings->Network Settings (Administrator password required) ->Network Interfaces (select your interface, maybe eth0). Check in the Routes tab that the gateway is correct (it probably must be to have got this far). Check in the domain name system that your ISP's DNS servers, usually two, are at the top of the list. Remove any entry for the gateway or localhost, as that will really slow down DNS lookups. Then save this.

Now try pinging each of the DNS servers, if they are slow, you could try complaining to your ISP.

Or maybe you could run your own caching DNS server locally, on your PC, but as I have not tried it, I can't give advice on how to configure it.

Comment

Pavel,
      What I had to do was contact my DSL/ISP and ask for their DNS servers. If you're getting a delay, it probably is because your setup to use the dhcp server in your modem and that causes a lag in pulling a dns entry. Tell you ISP and they should give you their hardcode dns IPs.
      Just a thought,
      JimA

Comment

I killed some localhost dns, but I think that nothing changed. I took google just for instance. I have the same problem with all sites.
        Any web page has a huge delay between loading the page and typing the url. But speed is nice - 1mB/s.

That are my settings:
        IP 192.168.2.6
        Mask 255.255.255.0
        DNS 192.168.2.1
        Getaway 192.168.2.1
        Also I have my wpa key for the wifi network - essid - "home"
        I really think that there are some problems with network settings because windows xp works fine.

Comment

did you try clearing your browsers cache? sometimes things get in there to slow or stop connectivity.

Comment

Such effect is from the beginning of using Kubuntu so I thing it isn't the reason.

Comment

Pavel,
              You are using the modem's dns 192.168.2.1. I think this is your problem. Did you call your ISP and tell them the problem and ask for their dns servers?
              Jim A.

Comment

Well...
                Are you talking about 56k modem?
                I have the network in my house. Wifi router connected to internet directly. Router has Wan IP 82.41.232.250 and Lan IP – 192.168.2.1. So that's why I have my IP 192.168.2.6 (I am not the only one connected to router). For instance – another one computer in the network is connected by wifi and has IP – 192.168.2.3. It works under windows xp. And it hasn't any problems with internet. Or the main instance – in my notebook there are 2 OS – Kubuntu and WinXP. So, in XP I have no problems (internet works properly), but when I boot Kubuntu I have a problem – I said about it in heading.
                I think I don't understand what you talking about. Sorry.

Comment

Strange thing – my swiftfox works perfectly with internet. May be reason of my problem – bad software (i.e. adept)?

Comment

Pavel, adamsjw2 is correct. I think that Windows is working better because it is somehow getting the correct DNS settings via DHCP, while Kubuntu has been given a fixed IP address and is not asking the DHCP server for the DNS server addresses. You do really need to get those from your ISP, the modem/router is not the correct DNS server address, and when asked, it causes a delay by having to forward the request somewhere else.

Your ISP ought to supply the addresses, at least two, probably on their web site. These may need to be set up on the router, via its configuration page, so if it is performing the DHCP function, it will supply them to the other computers. But in my experience that does not always work very well, and if you explicitly set them in Kubuntu, it will be OK. You may be able to get the DNS server addresses from the network settings in Windows, when it is on line. They may be grayed out so they can't be changed, if they have been set by DHCP, but those will still be the ones you want to set in Kubuntu. They will definitely not be 192.168.anything, becuase these are private addresses for your local network and are not routable beyond your modem.

But that will only speed up your first ping to a given address, subsequent pings should be as fast as the network allows because your local PC should be caching the DNS lookups. Maybe Kubuntu is not doing that? But try the DNS first, and let us know if the problem is fixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X