This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba file share problem?

I have a partition mounted on /media/hdd1 that I which to share to an XP. The XP user has an account on my kubuntu box with matching XP username/passwd. The volumn is owned by the XP user. I used kcontrol to configure samba server, and tried many settings with no luck. The folder appears on the XP network places with the correct identification. When trying to open the folder, I get a insufficient permission message or a connection dialog, depending on the kcontrol acess setting of "share" or "user'. If I enter the XP username/pw into the connection dialog, it just prepends my host name to the username and the dialog just sits there until I cancel. I tried adding samba users using the kcontrol/samba/users tab. But, whatever I add is gone the next time kcontrol is opened. I also took a look and smb.conf, what a waste. I also installed swat, thinking it would give me more control. However, when executed, it just locks up the xterm.

Mike

Re: Samba file share problem?

Are you running kcontrol as root (sudo kcontrol)? If not, you can't change the samba configuration.

Comment

When I run it from my account, I use the kcontrol "Administrator" button which requiers the same passwd I use for sudo. Is this not the same as running with sudo? I will try sudo, and see if things change. Thanks.

Comment

Tried both kdesu and sedu. Nothing changed. Still can't enter and save SMB users from kcontrol. This is strange since I had Samba working on both Mandriva and SUSE.

Comment

I run a multi-boot PC and where I have had this kind of issue before I have copied a working smb.conf from another distro. partition.

Is this something you could do?

Comment

To get things to work, i ended up adding the path to the smbpasswd file to smb.conf. I also manually added security=user and made my mount [hdd1] section simple (path, public, read only no). Then I used the app smbpasswd to enter a samba password for the xp user.

On the xp, when the share is opened a connection dialog comes up. I supply un/pw and things work. Not my idea of a clean setup, but what can you do!

Comment

Working...
            X