X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network suddenly failed

Hello,

I'm running Kubuntu on my laptop connecting through a ZyXEL router to broadband. I had it all configured and working nicely. Then yesterday I tried to set the laptop up to connect to wireless at my work. Eventually I did this through my Broadcom wireless card. Now I find I cannot get access to the net through the router at home. Is there any reason why setting up for wireless should disempower the wired network? I can't think of anything that I did that should have affected the router connection.

Any help appreciated.

Donald

Re: network suddenly failed

This is not surprising! It happens all the time on Windoze 2000, for example, as well as Linux, and it does not mean that you have messed anything up. It is basically to do with the default gateway, but the other network settings such as DNS matter too. It is not so much the result of one network being wireless and the other a direct connection, but simply that you have two network devices, and at any time the default route to the rest of the world has to be through one of them to its defined gateway address. The settings will be those of the most recent one to be configured.

It happens on my laptop, if I put it in the docking station, which has its own network card built in, different to the network interface in the laptop itself, for exactly the same reason. In my case the built-in ethernet in the laptop is eth0 and the docking station is eth1, because it was not docked when I set it up.

If you go to System Settings->Network Settings you should see two interfaces listed, and I am guessing that one will show as enabled, and one as disabled. Just reverse that by selecting each in turn and using the enable/disable buttons as needed (Administrator password will be needed) and it will then work on your other network. But it might be slow, depending on how the DNS is set up, as it will try the first server on the list, which may not be accessible from your other location. So you might have to change that too.

There are utilities to automate that, especially for laptops that regularly move between networks, but I have had trouble with one of those recently, and suggest that you get it working manually first before introducing another possible problem.

In theory, you can then use the Network Profiles tab to create and save two or more profiles, for the places where you use the laptop. Each will have the necessary IP address, if not set by DHCP, DNS servers and gateway. It does not take long to switch profiles, once you have them all working correctly.

I hope that helps!

Comment

Thanks. That is useful. My undersanding of networks is fairly limited. I've been a modem user until recently and am just getting used to wired routers and wireless, so still learning.

I'll use you post to have a play and see what I can fix.

Comment

Gods. This is frustrating. OK, managed to get my wired router network going OK by placing the IP address in System Settings > Network Settings > Domain Name System form under Domain Name Serves and moving it to first on the list. The other DNS in there was from the wireless network.

Now back at work and the wireless network will not work. The wireless DNS had disappeared from the DNS form above leaving just the router DNS. Re-added the wireless DNS and rebooted. No joy. Tried disabling the router eth0, leaving wireless eth1 enabled. No joy. I had installed every wireless bit of kit I could find - WifiRadar, KWifiManager, Wlassistant, KNetworkManager. None of them seem to help.

Now reduced to tearing my hair out!

Donald

Comment

OK - feeling incredibly embarassed and very stupid. I solved the problem and got back connected wirelessly at work but adpting the simple expedient of pressing Fn + F2 on my laptop to turn the laptop wireless radio on!!!!!

I shall now go and hide my head in a paper bag.

Donald

Comment

Never mind, it happens to us all sometimes! I am glad that all is working now.

Comment

Working...
            X