This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless broken after automatix

I installed Kubuntu (6.06) on my laptop, and the wireless was working flawlessly. After about a day of configuring (including running automatix), I found I could not connect to any wireless network, or even attempt to.

when I try to run "Wireless Assistant" it gives me the message: "No usable wireless devices found Wireless Assistant will now quit"

any other attempt to connect just gives me a "no wireless device" message.

After struggling with this, I decided to reinstall Kubuntu, and lo and behold, wireless was working. I then tried configuring it, taking notice of the status of wifi after every step, and it seems that it stopped functioning after I ran automatix. I did selece the ndiswrapper package in automatix, but I'm not sure if that is the real problem.

Hardware: Thinkpad T60-66U

everywhere I've looked, it said to install the ipw3945 driver, but wireless was working fine before automatix...

any help is appreciated

Re: Wireless broken after automatix

If your wireless was working prior to installing ndiswrapper then it's possible you don't need ndiswrapper. When you installed ndiswrapper from automatix, was it already preselected? ndiswrapper is a method to get m$ ndis drivers to work in linux when the companies that make chips are too lazy to port drivers to linux.

Comment

Re: Wireless broken after automatix

Actually, I just found out what it was (after 3 installs and plenty of cursing). Apparently, my wireless doesn't work if I'm running in kernel-image i686, but it will work if I run kernel-image i386 (I'm connected wirelessly right now).

Is this a bug? If it is, could you show me how to notify someone?

I think I'm just going to run the i386 kernel when I need wireless. (It's a laptop, so probably most of the time)

And yes, I am sure that my processor is a 686 (uname -m gives the output: i686)

Comment

Working...
      X