X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mapping a drive from another system

Ok. really getting into Kubuntu

But was wondering how can we map a drive on another system like in Winblows. You would click on Tools->Map Network Drive.

It would place a icon in the My Computer folder. So is it possible to do this in Kubuntu and if so, how?

Thanks all

Re: Mapping a drive from another system

Yes, you should add a link in /etc/fstab to point to this drive by samba.

Here is an example :
    //ip_address/Share_name /mount_point smbfs username=<username>,password=<password>,rw,uid=<yo urUser>,umask=000 0 0

Hope it helps

Comment

Originally posted by sky
      Yes, you should add a link in /etc/fstab to point to this drive by samba.

Here is an example :
      //ip_address/Share_name /mount_point smbfs username=<username>,password=<password>,rw,uid=<yo urUser>,umask=000 0 0

Hope it helps
      I tired that but it keeps saying only root can mount the drive. I even tried adding auto to get it to auto mount but it still wont go. btw what is the username and password for? for logging into the other computer or the one the driver is being mounted on?

Comment

This should work for a windows mount on your kubuntu computer. If you want to use a kubuntu (or other kde-based os with ssh activated), then you should use fish://distant_user@ip/folder

Anyway, username and password are identifier on the distant machine, and yes your should be root to mount it, or with this line it's mounting on boot time if you have access to this machine.

BTW, maybe explain me exactly what you want to do, I will try to answer the best I can.

Cheers

Comment

I did it this way 'out of the box'.. click 'system menu'.. it's the one to the right of 'k'. click 'remote places'. click Samba Shares. Click your network/work group name, click the machine the drive is on, and just drag the drive to the desptop and say 'copy here'... ensure the drive is shared on the WinDOS machine though.

I mapped my DVD drive from XP Pro this way, and used it to copy MAME ROMS to my Linux box.

No command line needed.

GL!!!

Comment

I simply want to sync my laptop drive with my desktop and the book I have says the easiest way is to mount the remote drive. It makes sense to me as that's what I'd do under dos/windows (at times like these I miss dos so much). I've tried a dozen different ways to use the syntax you gave me but it always says I need to be root to mount it.

btw Crux that would just create a link to the drive, I need to have it actually mounted with a valid mount point.

Comment

Hi,

You should check this webpage (http://antrix.net/stuff/kubuntu_install_notes.html), it's about how someone good it working, I'm doing it often on AIX servers but never did it on a kubuntu
              Make a search in the page for nfs, it's the paragraph almost on the end.

If you need more help, don't hesitate.

Cheers

Comment

btw Crux that would just create a link to the drive, I need to have it actually mounted with a valid mount point.
                ahem.. I also did the same with my PSP as a test. Mounted and set.. When I unplugged it from the XP box, it reflected that on the Linux box icon..

aka I can wright to my PSP via my Kubuntu box as the PSP is mounted on the XP Pro box...

Seems the same to me...

But hey, if you want it in it's own 'directory', then map it to that. Simple is as simple does.

Comment

Working...
                X