X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lan

Hi
    I am working at a school. We have a Windows 2003 server which function as a fileserver,dhcp-server and dns-server. We use a wireless network. All teachers have a laptop with Windows XP.
    Now, I have installed kubuntu Dapper on mine (dual boot). I have some problems with the wireless network, but when I use wireless assistent I am able to connect after booting. But the problem is
    access to the fileserver. Since kubuntu get an adrress from the dhcp-server there must be a way
    to get the connection established at boot time . Then I could log in to the fileserver. I have an account
    there, and it work with Windows XP.

Any good advices ??

Re: lan

Hi,

If usually you're just mapping network drives, you should be able to use samba to do it here also...

check manpage of mount to see options available for smbfs or ask to be sure

Cheers

Comment

Make sure that samba is installed. Then I recommend install smb4k. It give you a gui to browse the network, connect, etc. Fairly straightforward.

Comment

Hi
        thanks for the answers.
        Problem is , I cannot install Samba on the Windows 2003 Server. I hva to be able to log in to
        a Windows 2003 fileserver from a kubuntu machine.t
        I don't know if this is possible or not.

Comment

You don't need to have Samba on the WIn 2k3 box. Samba allows Linux to communicate on the Windows network.

So, if you don't already have Samba (I'm sure it comes by default with Kubuntu), install it.

Now, jam into a terminal window and run:
          sudo nmblookup *

that'll show you the names of available computers for you to network with. Depending on how the system admin set things up, NetBIOS will either give you an IP address or a domain name. You need to know the Win 2k3's name so you can access it.

Now, I'm no pro with Samba. So I won't be of too much more help. But you can read on here: http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplan...orials/2047/2/ for more info. Hope it helps.
          <br />

Comment

Hi
            Yes, yes !

It is functioning

Comment

Working...
            X