X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi problem

Heya!

Just installed Kubuntu, which is my first linux OS and am pretty impressed so far!

But when i tried to get my wireless card going i failed pretty bad, i have a Broadcom BCM4306 802.11b/g wireless (Belkin), all the tutorials/ walk thrus I could find just confused me, and when i tried to install ndiswrapper the 'make install' command comes back with 'bash: make: command not found'.

I think that the error has something to do with me not installing the kernal as it says in this tut:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...p/Installation

Unfortunately I have no idea how to install these at all, so I really need someone to mabye walk me through the whole install and set up, or if anyone has a good newbie tutorial Id much appreciate it.

Thanks
    Ds

Re: Wifi problem

Ds:

I probably can't help much with your installation of ndiswrapper, but I can get you started.

The message "bash: make: command not found" is an error message that is telling you that you are missing a program. Whenever something like this happens you need to figure out which program or package(s) you are missing and then download them.

In your case you are missing the tools needed to compile programs. To fix this problem, open "Add/Remove Programs" and search for the package "build-essential" and install it. Usually you need to have internet access working to download and install packages. However, this one is located on the install CD. If you have trouble, refer to the following and/or search the forum for "build-essential" to see how others have managed to install without internet access.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=5785.0

After you get the "make" command to work, if you still have trouble with the wireless, try searching for "Broadcom BCM4306" on the forum for further help. If you can't find the answer there, try searching the Ubuntu forum. Most of the advice there will also apply to Kubuntu.

Best of luck, and hang in there. You'll learn a lot from these little exercises!

Mark
    Mark<br />Kubuntu 8.04 on IBM X41T/ Pentium M LV 1.5 GHz/1GB DDR2/60GB HDD/Dual-boot with Windows XP Tablet Edition<br />Kubuntu 6.06 on Shuttle SD11G5 mini-server/ Pentium M 2 GHz/1 GB DDR2/80 GB notebook HD/500 GB SATA II HD

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mark!

I installed the package and can now use make etc, and have installed ndiswrapper, but when i install the drivers for my card 'bcmwl5' and do 'ndiswrapper -l' it returns only that the driver is present and does not mention hardware as the tutorials say it should.

Can someone please walk me through how to get my hardware seen by ndiswrapper and get it working?

Thanks
      Ds

Comment

Yes!

Ive finally got it working! (am posting from Konqueror)

I followed a tut in the ubuntu forums:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...60&postcount=6

hope that helps anyone else

Ds

Comment

Ds:

Great! Doesn't it give you a sense of satisfaction to have solved your problem? Now, on to the next problem.......

Mark
          Mark<br />Kubuntu 8.04 on IBM X41T/ Pentium M LV 1.5 GHz/1GB DDR2/60GB HDD/Dual-boot with Windows XP Tablet Edition<br />Kubuntu 6.06 on Shuttle SD11G5 mini-server/ Pentium M 2 GHz/1 GB DDR2/80 GB notebook HD/500 GB SATA II HD

Comment

Originally posted by K0LO
            Ds:

Great! Doesn't it give you a sense of satisfaction to have solved your problem? Now, on to the next problem.......

Mark
            lol sounds like if linux was an eternal problem !

Comment

--lol sounds like if linux was an eternal problem !

haha sumtimes it feels like one!

lol yeh it does mark, though its getting easier to solve problems now!

Ds

Comment

Working...
              X