This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knetworkmanager on boot

I finally got everything working with knetworkmanager and my WPA-enabled access point, but I'm looking for a way to bypass the password prompt for knetworkmanager on boot.

The point is that I need to be able to access this machine remotely, and if it is rebooted or there is a power failure, etc., I just have to wait until I get home to access it because of that damned password prompt keeping it from connecting to my wifi newtwork automatically.

Is there any way around this at all? Because it seems to me like it would be very, very important to be able to connect on bootup without having to supply a password.

Thanks!

Re: Knetworkmanager on boot

Hi,

You should be able to configure it and make it unable by default in /etc/network/interfaces

You can check man pages from konqueror man:/interfaces to see examples

Cheers

Comment

I thought about that, but as far as I'm aware, just using the interfaces config file to force a connection on startup isn't possible if it's a WPA-enabled network I'm trying to connect to.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

I was able to make it work the way you describe. Go to the configuration screen for KWallet and remove the password for the wallet in use (make it blank). Check the settings that automatically hide the wallet and you should be in business.

Sorry that I am not being more specific; I'm not in front of my Kubuntu PC right now but hope this is enough to point you in the right direction.

Mark
        Mark<br />Kubuntu 8.04 on IBM X41T/ Pentium M LV 1.5 GHz/1GB DDR2/60GB HDD/Dual-boot with Windows XP Tablet Edition<br />Kubuntu 6.06 on Shuttle SD11G5 mini-server/ Pentium M 2 GHz/1 GB DDR2/80 GB notebook HD/500 GB SATA II HD

Comment

Thanks, K0LO!

I had to create a new wallet to get that to work, but work it did, though I didn't have to hide the wallet manager as (I think?) you suggested. I don't know why I didn't think of something that simple before.

As long as I leave Knetworkmanager open and connected when I restart, it connects to my WPA-protected network with no input on boot. The cool thing is, the same thing is now true for smb4k as well, so my connection AND my shares both come up automatically, just like I want. The BEST thing is: everything was done in KDE; no command line needed, making this a great technique for linux novices.

I know it sacrifices a modicum of security, but I can live with that as this is far from a critical system and I will be the only user.

Sweet, now the only problem I have left to solve on this particular PC is that damned remote desktop problem:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=7239.0

And kubuntu will finally be a perfect Windows replacement.

Thanks again.

Comment

Glad to hear that it worked for you.

Can't help with the VNC problem, but I can tell you that Remote Desktop to a Windows XP box works fine using the package tsclient. It's a strange feeling when you're working on your Linux machine and connecting remotely to a WinXP box and having your screen look exactly like a Windows machine! I do this all the time to connect to my work PC when I'm at home.

Perhaps you could search for your issue on the Ubuntu forum. The volume of messages is a couple of orders of magnitude larger on the other forum. Most of the advice will work whether you're running the Gnome desktop manager or the KDE desktop manager. Maybe you'll find a post that will be helpful.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/search.p...=7188115&pp=25

Happy reading!

Mark
            Mark<br />Kubuntu 8.04 on IBM X41T/ Pentium M LV 1.5 GHz/1GB DDR2/60GB HDD/Dual-boot with Windows XP Tablet Edition<br />Kubuntu 6.06 on Shuttle SD11G5 mini-server/ Pentium M 2 GHz/1 GB DDR2/80 GB notebook HD/500 GB SATA II HD

Comment

I should have clarified:

Krdc works just fine. I can remote desktop TO my Windows machines amazingly well from Kubuntu; even better than I can between them.

It's only when I try to remote desktop to the Krfb vnc server FROM my Windows machines - using ANY vnc viewer - that performance is unacceptable. This proves to me that it's an issue with the server rather than the network.

I just wanted to make that clear for others' future reference.

Comment

Working...
              X