This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba client won't recognize Windows folder contents

Installed samba on fresh Kubuntu install. A windows xp sp2 box reads all the files in the K-box Home directory. However, the K-box sees the W-box but when I click on it, it gives me an error that "The file or folder smb://(computer-name)/ does not exist." Any suggestions?

I'm long on Windows experience but a newbie to Linux/Kubuntu. I'm amazed at the lack of help files. No desktop, Samba or Adept Help files. I would have thought that since Kubuntu is trying to attract users who are used to a GUI (and who may not be comfortable with command line) that documentation would be a very high priority right from the beginning. Does anyone know where I might find manuals for these apps?

Re: Samba client won't recognize Windows folder contents

Maybe you'll find help in the wiki - search for SAMBA or have a look for Documentation - Server Guide at the kubuntu.org website.
    Try in a terminal-windows "sudo kcontrol" - Network - Samba to configure the Samba-Server.
    Don't forget to create users with the "sudo smbpasswd"-command!
    Regards...

Comment

Re: Samba client won't recognize Windows folder contents

I have a question.
      Is everything required actually being installed by default. Adept shows samba common installed but not the samba suite. Is the smbclient properly installed by samba-common though it is listed under samba or is it possible a lot of the problems people are posting about are incomplete installs of all the necessary components?

Comment

Working...
      X