This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba help, please!

I used Advanced sharing from my Kubuntu machine to Windows. I added a share from my Home directory(the entire directory) and now when I try to access Kubuntu's Samba shares from my Windows box, it keeps asking for a password.

I wish I can give more details, but I forgot about what I did. Sorry.

Re: Samba help, please!

Try running:

Code:
    sudo kcontrol
    and select Internet/Samba.

On the front page, change your shares to be more open.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I don't know how much more "open" I can get. I shared the files, and made them writable. As well, I put security on share mode.

Thanks for the tip though.

Comment

My Kubuntu box also dual boots with Windows XP Professional. The idea of linking my files is that when I'm in Kubuntu, my Windows files will continue to be shared with the other computer I'm connected to (Windows XP Pro as well, but without Kubuntu), so I added My Documents from the Windows section of the Kubuntu/Windows double booter.

Is this possible?

Comment

I'm sorry, but I didn't state the new problem.

After setting the security to share, the Windows-only box would say "Cannot access NETWORK_SHARE_NAME! No permission to view this network resource", or something along those lines.

Will continue to look at other threads and see if they have the same problem.

Comment

I entered name and password of one of the user accounts on the windows machine and it let me in.
            I find samba a pain though and less reliable than nfs. I have dual boot on my win2k/xandros machine and fat32 file system so I generally use nfs through xandros to either access my windows partition or copy what I need to my linux partition first and access it there. This works well for me since I have moved almost completely from windows and find it easier to just access windows partitions through linux.

Comment

Working...
            X