Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How I solved my wireless network problem!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How I solved my wireless network problem!!!

My System:

Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Compaq V5105 (AMD 3300+)

Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)   000:06:02.0 0280: 14e4:4318 (rev 02)

Hey this is just an FYI of what worked for me!

I did end up using the latest version of "ndiswrapper" (however any version will probably work). 

And thanks for the drivers comwiz18!  I got several copies to load appropriately.  From both here and here   

But after installing ndiswrapper.  And running...

sudo rmmod bcm43xx
    ndiswrapper -i (your driver)
    modprobe ndiswrapper

(“lsmod” verified ndiswrapper loaded)

Nothing seemed to work.  I even tried your script here.

I could see my wireless network card using KDE Network-Manager when I used/found an appropriate driver with ndiswrapper.  But connecting/activating it always caused the system to hang!  For a week I couldn't figure things out!

Then one day (after I had gotten ndiswrapper driver loaded) I pushed that damn little "wireless antenna" button on top of my keyboard (windows activates this feature upon bootup).  Every post I read said that in Linux those buttons didn't matter.  But as soon as I pushed mine after loading the ndiswrapper driver module...

Whalla!!!  Everything works perfect!  I have 54/Mb connection (or so my system says).  I can browse all wireless networks with KDE Wireless Assistant, and everthing works perfectly! 

Hmm...I wonder how many other people have made this mistake with their systems?...

Re: How I solved my wireless network problem!!!

I need some help please - i can downoad the ndiswarpper and the driver i am told I need to my thumbdrive and have the thumb drive recognized in Kubuntu but how do you get it to execute in kubuntu? this is definately different than XP and I am lost. I am not sure that I will even be able to find this exact screen so if you dont mind email me at my given email address please.

Comment

Working...
    X