This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

install NFS client?

I am not getting very far in finding how to install, or enable, NFS client in kubuntu 6.06.
    The kde network facilty appears to be installed, but after entering my password for administrator mode, to access a file sharing screen, the new items appear, but they remain as greyed out and unavailable, and even the administrator mode button is also greyed out. I must be missing something, but do not know where. Some pointers would be apppreciated.
    tia

Re: install NFS client?

kubuntu doesn't seem to install nfs-common and nfs-user-server. I would think, at minimum, you would need nfs-common.

After I installed both these I could get into the kde file sharing screen.

Comment

Thanks! It is very useful to know that it may not be me doing/not doing something I should be.
      When I get back to my PC in a few days I will have a try.

Comment

Originally posted by opie
        kubuntu doesn't seem to install nfs-common and nfs-user-server. I would think, at minimum, you would need nfs-common.

After I installed both these I could get into the kde file sharing screen.
        Thanks again.
        A key point of enlightenment and understanding for me has been that nfs-common and similar, are in fact not Programs to be dealt with via Add/Remove Programs (where they could not be seen.....) because they are not programs, but packages (!)
        Things became more productive once I began using System>Adept (Package Manager), Adept Manager, (search) nfs,
        etc

I note that:
        For nfs-common, nfs-kernel-server, nfs-user-server,
        a) libnfsidmap1 is also installed as an automatic choice
        b) nfs-kernel-server and nfs-user-server are mutually exclusive, with only one being allowed installed

I am trying the possibilities with both nfs-kernel-server and nfs-user-server, an dI also have a firewall front end (firestarter). With the various possibilities, and my limited knowlege ( :-) ), it may take a little time for me to get to know how to drive this thing........

However, nfs certainly now works :-)

Comment

Working...
        X